• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bumblefoot (and how to prevent it!)

Nadia Bingo

Strolling the yard
I've seen quite a few threads pop up mentioning bumblefoot and various problems with feet. Bingo, my older grey, was well onto her way of developing bumblefoot when I rescued her.

I did a post on my blog about the steps I took to help her with before and after pics.

Sad foot right?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Nice article on your blog! One of my cockatiels had the beginnings of bumblefoot a long time ago. The vet told me to make everything soft in her cage. I wrapped her perches in vet warp, used rope perches, and put a towel on the bottom of her cage. Luckily her foot was back to normal after two weeks.

Nadia Bingo

Strolling the yard
It is something that is much easier to reverse if you catch it early!

I still remember Bingo's reaction to the green vet wrap the first time. It took me a couple minutes to figure out why she was freaking out so bad.

Apparently it was an evil snake... we had to wrap some blue vet wrap over it to hide the color.

And it only took 2+ years for one of the 'new' perches to be deemed 'acceptable'. Before she would gingerly put one foot on the perch and use her other foot to hang on the side of the cage, like she was prepared for it to fall down at any second. :rolleyes:

2+ years later she sleeps happily on that perch. Go figure.

The hardest part is when you do stuff for their health and they refuse to cooperate :p. It sure takes patience sometimes!