• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Building trust

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
So as I predicted, having a little more trouble now outside the cage. On a scale of 1 to 100, when I am sitting near the cage and play stand (where I work from home), Emma seems to trust me 98%, Charlie about 60% with respect to the new finger training I am trying to work on (Holding millet with one hand and getting them to fly to and land on my index finger of opposite hand). However once we are out of their normal comfort zone and in the living/dining/family room (where I don't really want them right now, but occasionally have to retrieve them from) that trust drops to probably about 5% with Charlie and 30% with Emma. I cannot get Charlie on my finger outside their cage area even with millet and Emma is generally very difficult too, but will eventually hop on for a ride back to the cage after a several minute standoff.

All I know to do at this point is keep working with them on finger and recall training. I would say that if anyone else is planning on following in my footsteps, they should do more hand and recall training first before letting them out into new unexplored territory, but then again, I have not been encouraging them to go over there. They of course just decide to go by themselves (so this situation is partly unavoidable if you dont have a small bird room) and even with all the hand and recall training in the world, I am still not convinced that it would change all that much when they panic in new territory, however, on the flip side, part of me also feels like more hand and recall training early on would indeed work as the hand would become a familiar and safe object that they would want to go to when in a scary new room.

Continuing to learn every day...

No pictures. They just had a stressful outing so I put them away to munch on some millet and take a nap in the coconut. No doubt they will be back at it again in a little bit though.

Always appreciate any feedback, expertise, and past experiences you all have had.

Thanks!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
It will take time, though you have done very well for having had them for such a short period of time.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
There's that word again -------------> Patience. :)

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
Have you tried clicker training

Natalia

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Natalia
Right now I'm working on Neo getting used to my presence. He doesn't freak out as much, now he just seems more intrigued and curious. He doesn't trust me enough to stand on my fingers, but I've also been super busy with college so I haven't been with him as much as I need to. This weekend I have tons of reading to do and I will be with Neo aaalll day :p

How much did you wait before letting Charlie and Emma out of their cage?

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
You are doing a great job.
And building trust will be a gradual thing