• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Building a bond with budgie/getting it out of cage.

Merovech

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michael
Hi!

Sorry to start a new thread about Data (my Budgie), but this is an entirely different question. I'm trying to build a bond with my new Budgie, who has been in our house for slightly over two weeks. I believe he or she (henceforth: it, I'm not sure of its gender) is about 15 weeks old.

It seems like a perfectly healthy Budgie, except for the fact that it kind of does nothing but sit on its perch most of the day. It doesn't seem particularly afraid of my hands - when my hand enters the cage, there's no visible sign of fright (and I do believe I can distinguish between a wary bird and a relaxed bird). Many times, Data'll perch on my finger when I offer it food or millet which I do to create a bond. Sometimes it's very stubborn and/or full and just doesn't react to the food in my hand at all.

I've been trying to get it out of its cage, having followed tips from YouTube's the parrot whisperer by gently getting my hand of out the cage while it is contently eating. Many times however, it'll instantly bolt back in and be wary of getting food from my hand again.

So there are two questions.
1. What else can I do to improve the bond with my budgie, except for feeding it from my hand and talking to it?
2. How can I build trust and get it to see that there's nothing to be afraid of outside its cage? After all, I don't want it to lose trust of my hand by getting it out of its cage just as it's starting to trust it. That said, I'm afraid that the longer it'll remain a cage-only bird, the more it'll enforce its idea that the outside of the cage is scary.

Also, don't worry. Next spring I plan on getting it a Budgie friend. I was hoping to improve our relationship before then.

I've been using the following page as a general guideline:

Suggestions To Help You Bond With A New Budgie - Cute Little Birdies Aviary

Zoepr143

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Zoë
(I will use she/her since it is easier to type instead of she/he and her/his etc.)
Does she have enough toys to play with? Is her cage big enough? How many hours a day are you not home? What perches does her cage have? These things can affect her behavior. If you want her to be comfortable outside of the cage you must first bird proof the room. She has not been with you long, she might still be adjusting to her new surroundings. I’d just do your daily routine, and be close to her cage. Maybe talk to her in a friendly voice, and you will see progress. If you see she is not comfortable just take it slow as some budgies take more time to earn trust than others.
Also welcome to AA
:welcomesign:

Reactions: Mua

Merovech

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michael
Hi! Thanks for your reply. I'll tackle your questions one by one:
Does she have enough toys to play with? I'd assume. There are plenty of perches, swings and bells in the cage. I also drop in plastic balls (her size, but very light) and sometimes toilet rolls in there as my previous bird loved to shred and play with them.
Is her cage big enough? Oh, yes. Definitely. See the pictures. It's a flight cage for cockatiels.
How many hours a day are you not home? I'm home 4 days a week, one of which is me working right next to the cage. The other days are completely free and I lavish her with attention. On my work days I'm home from 4PM to 9PM (when she goes to bed).
What perches does her cage have? 6. One of which I should reposition; so functionally 5.
These things can affect her behavior.

So yeah. She easily sits on my hand and eats from there. I can do pretty much anything inside the cage without her being afraid of me (and I do see the difference). She's always super relaxed in the cage. Not very active; I hardly ever see her play. She does sing several times a day (about 4x30minutes). She sits on the same perch 95% of the time. I don't mean to be rude, but she's a rather boring bird. Or, better yet - I haven't found the way to stimulate her yet.

She's absolutely very nervous outside the cage though. Sometimes I take her out and her first instinct is to fly back to the cage. When the cage is not in her line of sight, usually goes looking for it or find a place to sit and she'll sit there very still until I take her back. She will then gently, without any effort, step up on my hand and bolt towards the cage as soon as it's in sight.

So yes. She trusts my hands somewhat, which is great. But outside the cage she does not feel the hands will keep her safe.

Sometimes I try to leave her cage door open and lure her out with food (as seen in one of the pictures), to no avail.

IMG_1243.JPG IMG_1249.JPG

Last edited:

Zoepr143

Real Name
Zoë
Hi! Thanks for your reply. I'll tackle your questions one by one:
Does she have enough toys to play with? I'd assume. There are plenty of perches, swings and bells in the cage. I also drop in plastic balls (her size, but very light) and sometimes toilet rolls in there as my previous bird loved to shred and play with them.
Is her cage big enough? Oh, yes. Definitely. See the pictures. It's a flight cage for cockatiels.
How many hours a day are you not home? I'm home 4 days a week, one of which is me working right next to the cage. The other days are completely free and I lavish her with attention. On my work days I'm home from 4PM to 9PM (when she goes to bed).
What perches does her cage have? 6. One of which I should reposition; so functionally 5.
These things can affect her behavior.

So yeah. She easily sits on my hand and eats from there. I can do pretty much anything inside the cage without her being afraid of me (and I do see the difference). She's always super relaxed in the cage. Not very active; I hardly ever see her play. She does sing several times a day (about 4x30minutes). She sits on the same perch 95% of the time. I don't mean to be rude, but she's a rather boring bird. Or, better yet - I haven't found the way to stimulate her yet.

She's absolutely very nervous outside the cage though. Sometimes I take her out and her first instinct is to fly back to the cage. When the cage is not in her line of sight, usually goes looking for it or find a place to sit and she'll sit there very still until I take her back. She will then gently, without any effort, step up on my hand and bolt towards the cage as soon as it's in sight.

So yes. She trusts my hands somewhat, which is great. But outside the cage she does not feel the hands will keep her safe.

Sometimes I try to leave her cage door open and lure her out with food (as seen in one of the pictures), to no avail.

View attachment 263387 View attachment 263388
What a nice big cage, good job on that one! I’ll use my budgie kiwi for this example, she also was protective of her cage and very nervous outside of it. She was fine with perching on my hand inside the cage but she would nervously fly when having her outside time (at first). It took her a little while to fully trust me and her surroundings. She would eventually come out by herself, play and fly around and even stand on my arm. It might take a while.

It is also possible data is a very social bird and needs to have a budgie friend. I’m not saying you are not good enough but that they will keep each other active when you don’t have the time to.

Edit: having a single bird is only recommended when you can be with them 24/7

Merovech

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michael
Thank you for your example. I do hope Data will end up like Kiwi. How did you get her to trust her surroundings outside the cage? I often just let her eat out of my hand while my hand is in the cage, only to smoothly pull my hand out of the cage and turn around. She'll look around, nervously continue eating, and then nervously look for her cage. I was hoping this might allow her to trust the outside of the cage more.

She'll never come out willingly on her own, but I'm too protective of my little Data to force her out of the cage for a long time. Catch-22. I want her to be happy and protect her from the feeling of being scared. On the other hand, perhaps that's just something she has to get over with.

Also, I do plan on getting her a male budgie friend in a couple of months. I had just hoped she'd have bonded with me before then. There are just no budgies in nearby shelters, and I refuse to buy one from a pet shop as I find most kind of unethical. I'm waiting for a breeder or shelter rescue.

Zoepr143

Real Name
Zoë
Thank you for your example. I do hope Data will end up like Kiwi. How did you get her to trust her surroundings outside the cage? I often just let her eat out of my hand while my hand is in the cage, only to smoothly pull my hand out of the cage and turn around. She'll look around, nervously continue eating, and then nervously look for her cage. I was hoping this might allow her to trust the outside of the cage more.

She'll never come out willingly on her own, but I'm too protective of my little Data to force her out of the cage for a long time. Catch-22. I want her to be happy and protect her from the feeling of being scared. On the other hand, perhaps that's just something she has to get over with.

Also, I do plan on getting her a male budgie friend in a couple of months. I had just hoped she'd have bonded with me before then. There are just no budgies in nearby shelters, and I refuse to buy one from a pet shop as I find most kind of unethical. I'm waiting for a breeder or shelter rescue.
I did exactly what you did at first. I slowely pulled my hand out to see how she reacted but this is not a good move. It is against their will, hence why data is nervous when outside her cage. This is how i got kiwi to be comfortable outside her cage: i sat next to her cage with her cage door open and watched youtube videos on my ipad so that i myself was also comfortable (to give her the feeling that there is no need to worry and that the choice is completely hers). After i think 3 tries (1 try per day) she came out on her own and stood on top of my iPad fascinated by the moving pictures :hehe:. She soon enough was okay with perching on my finger outside of the cage.

Edit: you can try this on the day you work beside her cage, so that she sees you are busy

Reactions: Jas

Merovech

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michael
I did exactly what you did at first. I slowely pulled my hand out to see how she reacted but this is not a good move. It is against their will, hence why data is nervous when outside her cage. This is how i got kiwi to be comfortable outside her cage: i sat next to her cage with her cage door open and watched youtube videos on my ipad so that i myself was also comfortable (to give her the feeling that there is no need to worry and that the choice is completely hers). After i think 3 tries (1 try per day) she came out on her own and stood on top of my iPad fascinated by the moving pictures :hehe:. She soon enough was okay with perching on my finger outside of the cage.

Edit: you can try this on the day you work beside her cage, so that she sees you are busy
Thank you for your advice. Unfortunately, that's the way I've been spending my time for weeks now. With her cage door open and some food at the edge of the entrance/exit and just playing games, working or watching videos quietly.

She literally won't get away from her perch and seems perfectly content there. There's no real way to pique her interest; she's not curious, hates adventure and is content to sit in the same spot most of the day. I want to be the Gandalf to her Bilbo Baggins, but I'm afraid I'm all out of dwarves.

Zoepr143

Real Name
Zoë
Thank you for your advice. Unfortunately, that's the way I've been spending my time for weeks now. With her cage door open and some food at the edge of the entrance/exit and just playing games, working or watching videos quietly.

She literally won't get away from her perch and seems perfectly content there. There's no real way to pique her interest; she's not curious, hates adventure and is content to sit in the same spot most of the day. I want to be the Gandalf to her Bilbo Baggins, but I'm afraid I'm all out of dwarves.

Oh well I haven’t dealt with that kind of behavior..I don’t think i can say anything else than just continue with what you’re doing now. It might happen when you least expect it?
Also, perfect reference placement right there :hehe: