Bugs in the birds seed!

Discussion in 'Bird Boulevard' started by atvchick95, 7/11/10.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atvchick95

atvchick95 Biking along the boulevard

Kelli
    They don't fly!, they look like miniature Ticks we've always kept our seed in plastic totes with locking lids, and just recently started having issues with these bugs, We fill a old food container out of this tote weekly to feed the birds on a daily basis, and its nothing to have 20-30 crawling on the scooper

The tote WILL not fit in the freezer(we fill it with 50 pounds of seed so its huge) we just refilled our container we feed them out of daily, and my b/f said he was going to toss the rest out because you seen more bugs than food, Then when we got it out side the back corner filled with seed some how got wet - There is no possible way for this to get wet, it's never been any where near liquid even when we switched the rooms around, it was never taken out side( it started storming before we were done) it was taken from the old birds room through the kitchen down the hall into the new birds room never seeing the outside

we just dumped out at least 15 to 20 pound of seeds and I hosed and scrubbed the container out and now its out drying

these bugs are Small, I've never seen them fly If a picture is needed I am sure I can sweep up around the cages again today and get about 50 of them like I did yesterday I had to use the broom to swat them off the wall!

We have other seed, stored under my daughters bed still in the original package we bought all this seed in march from the same vendor at a bird fair, the same vendor we've been buying from for the past 3 1/2 yrs

do you think the bugs were already in the seed? and it would be useless to even open the other seed? (can't send it back though) or was it a fluke that 2 bags(one was older) has had bugs?

we never get bugs in the conure size seed,and its just in a plastic storage container from Dollar store (for like flour/sugar) the lid doesn't even CLICK when you close it like our big totes do

its just in the community (tiel/lovebird/budgie/bourke) seed

Is there a better seed holder that we won't get bugs in our food any more? That will hold 50 pounds but Won't drain my bank account buying it?

but if you need a pic let me know and I'll attempt to get one

again they are tiny black bugs that look like miniature ticks

I'm off to Google bugs found in seeds now to see if any match.
  2. GG.

GG. Enjoy the small things Administrator Mayor of the Avenue

GG
  3. Saemma

Saemma Ripping up the road Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

I know Sarojie purchases ALOT but will only buy in small bags to ensure freshness and for easier storage too. I don't know what to suggest.:huh:

The seed may have been sent to you with bugs in it due to the warmer weather. Do you keep the expiration dates?
  4. atvchick95

Kelli
    nope not those

no we fill the container and throw the bag away, we go through our food quickly, it would cost us more to buy small amounts we'd be buying it weekly if not 2 or 3 times a week,

remember i have over 50 birds :)
  5. JLcribber

JLcribber Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

John
    Sounds like the larvae of seed moths to me.

There's nothing you can do about those. The eggs are layed right inside the seed so there is no way to wash or clean the seed to get the eggs. If you can't refrigerate the seed and keep it at room temp your going to have to deal with the larvae/moths. Even the freshest, best packaged seeds has them.

I read somewhere you can bake the seed at a low temperature but IMO that wrecks the nutritional value of the seed.
    Last edited: 7/11/10
  6. Tielygirl

Tielygirl Rollerblading along the road

Ashley
  7. GG.

GG. Enjoy the small things Administrator Mayor of the Avenue

GG
    :lol: that's what I was thinking of weevils, not beetles :headsmack:

the moth larvae here looks like little tiny worms, not insects
  8. atvchick95

Kelli
    the only thing I can find that looks like it are "granary Weevils" I tried to get pictures of the ones I just swept off the floor but they move too fast, and they're too small they just look like a black dot on my floor , or the chair I sat one one- Even macro wasn't doing it

Bird seed surprise the Marvelous in nature

Would any of the products to get moths out of seeds work for these?

these things

Pet Safe Fruit Fly Trap

Glass Moth Trap

I know they say "for moths" but didn't know

they maybe harmless but they're over taking my house Not only am I finding them in the birds room, floor, wall, cages, dishes, but i'm finding them in EVERY room of my house even where birds and bird food are not!

bugs of any kind is not a option in my house - so I gotta find some how to get rid of them and prevent as much as i can from them returning

they're even in my wild bird seed I have to feed the outside birds :(
  9. Tielygirl

Tielygirl Rollerblading along the road

Ashley
    Not sure if those products will work, I would put the bag of seed you havent opened in the freezer overnight. That will kill them. I never had that much seed taken over with them, I ended up throwing it, or last time was in the winter and I just put it in our 3 season porch to freeze... LOL
  10. atvchick95

Kelli

right now i have no open bags, I open the bags pour it into our totes and close the lid We just dumped what was left in the totes out side which was roughly 20 pounds of bird food BUT we dumped it because some how the back corner got wet in the bottom of the tote - and it made the bird food look like wet sand (clumpy like that) But none of it before we got to the bottom of the tote was like that

and when i do open the next bag It is not going to fit in no freezer, no how LOL it's 50 pound bags

the only way i could get it in a freezer is to completely empty out my stand up deep freezer(but i have no where to put my food (and its packed full) remove all the shelves and sit in side

if I had a place to store my food in my deep freezer I'd do that (my freezer above my fridge is packed full as well)

man it is times like this i wish I had room for a chest type deep freezer and use it only for bird food but unfortunately i have no place for one
  11. JLcribber

JLcribber Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

John
    Those traps do work. I use these. Same principle. A sticky surface with pheromone bait.
    [​IMG]

Once you have them their hard to get rid of completely. They lay their eggs in cracks and crevices.
  12. atvchick95

Kelli

Thanks, Ya I figured they'd be annoying little twits :lol: but i'll pick up some of those so it doesn't get any worse than it is now, and hopefully i can get rid of what i do have
  13. birdlover82

birdlover82 Biking along the boulevard

Susan
    To freeze large amounts of food like that you can always put it into ziploc bags.;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)