• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Bugie Stitches Care

makkibudgie

Moving in
Real Name
Amy
my budgie recently got stitches for a prolapse vent on march 30th (not sure if that's what it's called) and i was wondering about what i should do afterwards. What are some things i should do? How do i take care of her properly? The vet said to go back in 3 weeks but her hole has been puffy and im worried she'll lay an egg while she has stitches in! What do i do after the stitches go away? How will they go away? Please educate me Im very frightened! (This is my first post im not sure if im doing this right but please help me!!!! I don't want my budgie to pass away)

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Ok, so i don't know much about stitches but, i will do my best to get you someone who does know. Here, I'm going to post a link to this in the 911 forum, as I think this is a little more urgent. Welcome btw!

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
Can you take a pic of the area? It would help a lot to see what’s going on.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Pick up the phone and read your post aloud to your vet.

makkibudgie

Moving in
Real Name
Amy
She doesnt let me take pictures (I've tried to take some already) but im not the one who takes her to the vet (my dad does) I'll try to ask him to call, but in the mean time I'd like some advice, please! The vet i went to didn't answer my questions on what to expect when i give her medicine, so he worries me! She hasn't shown any signs of discomfort (i dont think) and she chirps and moves around like normal. I just dont know what to expect when the stitches are gone :(

Thank you !

makkibudgie

Moving in
Real Name
Amy
i managed to get a picture right now actually, but it's not a good one! You can kind of see how it's puffy, and some of her feathers from the vent area are gone :( she also has dried poop and i dont know how to clean that without accidentally hurting her.

Attachments

Kodigirl210

If that brownish area is where the stitches are then you definitely need to go back to that vet and have them fix it. There shouldn’t be poop adhering to the stitched area otherwise it will never heal, in fact it may get more infected if it isn’t already. And while Sif has stitches in her toe for a full 2-weeks even that was long. The skin was starting to grow over the stitches. I can’t even imagine why the vet said 3-weeks unless they are dissolving stitches. If that’s the case then that’s some he should be informing you of. I agree with everyone here. Talk to that vet or take your poor girl back to have her taken care of. :(

makkibudgie

Moving in
Real Name
Amy
thank you everyone! I'll talk to my dad about it and hope he can take me :cry:

Ah! But is there a way to keep her hole clean? I don't want her to get an infection. I tried googling her medicine that the vet gave me but it's too hard read! My mother said it might be medicine to prevent infections, but im not sure :( my parents are very iffy about taking her to the vet so often because of costs but i just want her to be okay!

(Sorry if this whole thread is bothersome, i thought i knew enough of what it took to take care of a bird but this whole prolapse thing was so sudden and i didn't know it was a thing ! D: )

Last edited:

Kodigirl210

If you can-just use a Q-tip moistened with water. Birds are very sensitive to medications so you don’t want any soap or anything on it, even though that’s what you would do for humans. And don’t re-use the tip. So basically moisten the tip. Do a single stroke front to back. Turn the Q-tip 180 degrees then wipe a single time front to back then flip it to the other tip. So by the time you are on your 4th strike you should be discarding the Q-tip. Other than that, there’s not a lot you can do until you get her to the vet. Also, don’t stress if she only lets you clean for a little bit and then fidgets away. It may take a few cleaning over a few hours to get the debris and poop off. Slow and clean and steady. Also, use as sterile water as you can. So if you have bottled water, especially stuff like Daisani where it’s basically sterilized two water that would be the best. Good luck and best wishes!

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
@makkibudgie I have absolutely no experience with this, but I wanted to wish you and your budgie the best and welcome you.
:welcome2: