• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Bug spray...HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yunie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anne
Hi everyone, I just signed up to this site because it seems really great and I could use some other bird loving friends! This morning my boyfriend sprayed bug spray out in the kitchen because there were some bugs up in the cupboard...gross. He didn't realize that it was a bad idea until he had already did it. Luckily our birds are in our room and he put a blanket where the crack in the bottom of the door to our room is. I am now in our room and I taped the side of the door because air was coming through, and I put a blanket on our side of the door as well. I had the window open in here, but then all of a sudden another horrible smell was coming from outside! (Great timing, huh) So, I had to shut the window for now, I just have the fan on and the birds are still covered because they are still sleeping! It's early, and this happened early! Another thing, we have the inspector coming today...(anything else?!) and I'm gonna have to keep my room door open so they can come and take a look at the room! I have the front door open so the kitchen can be aired out as much as possible...but should I cover the birds when the inspector comes just in case the bug spray smell is still there? I'm a worry wart when it comes to pets health and especially birds! They are so sensitive and I just want them to be safe.

Any help will be much appreciated!! Thank you!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Welcome to the neighborhood. :)
It should be fine as long as you continue to do as you are, blocking the spaces where the smell/fumes can get through and open the window when/if it is safe to do so. If you have a vent in your room, you can tape a plastic garbage bag over it as well.

When the inspector comes you should still be able to keep the door closed and just open it to let him in the room. It doesn't have to stay open for him. Explain
to him what happened .

Thank you for taking such good care of your birds.

Yunie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anne
Hello! Thank you very much for your reply! I did just check the window to see if the other bad smell was gone, and it was so I have now opened it and have the fan blowing out again! And there is a vent in here, but it isn't connected to the kitchen (as far as I know) so I think that should be fine! I feel like we're being quarantined XD But it's SO worth keeping my babies safe! Thank you for your kind words! I'm new to bird owning, but I'm very cautious because I've heard how sensitive they are to smell.

Again, thank you!

Jazzysmama

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
You did all the right things, fumes can be very dangerous. Welcome!:) I've kept my door shut and explained to my landlord when they are inspecting as to why it's shut and they are welcome to go in. What type of birds do you have?

Yunie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anne
Hello, and thank you! Glad to know that I did all that I can right now! I will let them know that I had to keep the door shut because of the bug spray but they can still take a look. Hopefully they don't have a problem with that! I have two Budgies and one Cockatiel! :)

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome, you did all the right things, hope your birdies are doin ok.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
welcome and quick thinking on your part..you should be fine..time to also take the time to educate your boyfriend about various things that are not good for birdies..

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
I don't know if you can get Camicide in Australia,it is made out of crushed Chrysanthimums that is safe. If you can't find it you may be able to find something else made out of the same ingredients.

Welcome to AA!!

Best of luck!!:)

QP4CAG

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lindsay
Welcome to AA!!! Sounds like you've received some good ideas!:highfive:

Status
Not open for further replies.