• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie's tail is gone! It just disappeared! Photo included. Please advise.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
@lotus15 @Eloy @saroj12 I asked my roommate whether or not she heard Daisy scream or whether or not she heard any loud noises when she was in the kitchen. She said 'no' to both.

I think she might have grabbed her but might not be telling me about it. Daisy kinda only likes me and keeps her distance from my roommate. I guess she grabbed her and Daisy got scared. Gonna have to have an unpleasant conversation with her. :)

You were gone for such a short time, I am having a hard time figuring out why your roommate let Daisy out at all. Especially if your girl keeps her distance and is scared of her. This alone is very disturbing. I am curious to know if she told you right off about letting her out of the cage after you got home, or did she try to hide that from you? Gosh, this is very upsetting. Glad Daisy seems okay. I agree with others, hands off for the roommate.

miba55

Strolling the yard
Such good advice from everyone. Thank you, you have all been very helpful. I'm thankful that a forum with such kind and helpful people exists.

I will do whatever's necessary to give Daisy the best care she deserves.

miba55

Strolling the yard
Hello. Daisy's new tail feathers are getting longer and longer everyday. She currently has like seven or eight tail feathers, with two of them being pretty longer than the rest.

Here is the thing, though. Some tail feathers are red at their base and some of them are brownish at their base. There is no bleeding. There is no redness or blood on her skin. Just that some feathers have a red or brownish color at their base. Is this normal?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Some tail feathers are red at their base and some of them are brownish at their base.

Are the red and brown colors on the feather itself or on the shaft, can you tell?

miba55

Strolling the yard
Are the red and brown colors on the feather itself or on the shaft, can you tell?
Yes, on the shaft, but at the very base. No redness on the actual feathers. It's around the area which is represented by number 5 in the picture below.

xparts-of-a-feather.jpg.pagespeed.ic.eflIOXwzxj.jpg

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
you know, it's possible that the bird flew to the floor and your roommate accidentally stepped on the tail.

Anyway, I'm glad everything is working out.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree - probably a blood feather. Daisy's feathers will be sensitive while they still have this blood supply, so it's important not to knock them. She may be a bit grouchy or uncomfortable.