• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Budgie's nail broke off

Sonea

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Bleeding stopped immediately after. We just saw a veterinarian. She told me it looks alright right now and it will heal alright. She did and suggested nothing else.
I made an appoinment with an avian vet but it is next week... We will trim her nails then.

So what should I do now?? I have another budgie and they live in the same cage. What if it gets infected? Can it get infected?
She is still trying to climb the cage like she's normal. What if it starts to bleed again?

Please give me some advice. Thank you.

Attachments

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Keep it clean. Watch for signs of infection ie: swelling, excessive warmth or cold, your bird picking at the wound, fluffed up, not moving, not eating. Any of these get into avian vet asap.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
It should be ok. If it starts bleeding again, I hold flour against it until it stops .. I would consider this very minor , tho i know it's scary to see blood.
Watch for warmth redness swelling as mentioned above.
It's normal for it to be tender for a day or two , and might hold foot up when resting