• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Budgie vomiting; new food disagreeing with him?

Cygne

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
wow, my second thread here this week. I promise I had plans to post about other things :/

Made some special food for the first time made with hard boiled egg, some veggies and fruits that my birds have had before, and whole wheat pasta. Put a little on top of the seeds. Male, Hermes, is vomiting. Dunno when it started, I only got home an hour ago and saw him yucking first 20 minutes ago.

How worried should I be?

Cygne

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Update: he's eaten some normal seeds and drank some water, also stomped a bit in the bath. Right now seems to be dozing off.

Dunno if I want to move him into a different cage tonight so I can better check his poops or not stress him out any further, but I'm leaning towards not stressing him out.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Is he vomiting or just regurgitating?

Cygne

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Is he vomiting or just regurgitating?
Def vomiting, he's not feeding either of the hens. A lot of what he's brought up is more or less whole, but it's clear this isn't voluntary.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Could be the food that you gave him but is he still vomiting? If so, then you need to bring him to a vet. Hope he is OK.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
How’s he doing today? I hope he’s okay!

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
the whole wheat pasta could be the cause. I have read that wheat pasta can contain a minuscule amount of pesticides which has no impact on a human. but can have an effect on smaller animals.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
He should be having a very teeny tiny piece of egg.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
I have been looking to find a scientific evidence that's states egg should only be given in small amount to a bird. But I can't find any. although I did find a lot about how good eggs are and a lot of animals like to eat them.
It seems that eggs are really nutritious and a powerful food that feeds the brain. Egg yolks contain choline which is a serious brain food and aids liver function. The protein found in an egg is also a valuable ingredient because protein contributes amino acids to help the brain function. A typical chicken egg is made up of about 12% protein.

The eggshell is an excellent source of calcium which is not readily available in the wild. Calcium is valuable to a hen if she lay eggs of her own. The calcium she consumes helps form a stronger shell for those eggs she wants to lay. An egg also contains all of the essential amino acids, which the body cannot manufacture it on its own. Which can only be absorbed by consuming food containing those essential amino acids.

If I was going to feed my bird an egg or pasta, I picked an egg. because a egg natural whereas pasta is a processed food.

Cygne

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Sorry for delay! Update on situation:

Hermes hasn't vomited since I posted and is his usual self. Good appetite, energetic, loud. No wetness or stains around his beak. His droppings this morning had more water than usual but were mostly typical for him otherwise. Nearest I can figure is this was a brief digestive upset.

I'm definitely throwing out that food, tho.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's good news.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue