• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Budgie seems sick

Chiiaraaaaa

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chiara
hi everyone
My budgie is bobbing her tail, has poop cluttered around the cloaca and it seems as if the area around the cloaca is bald. She is still sleeping on one paw, and isn’t sitting fluffy (don’t know the right word) but seems a little bloated. I don’t know what to do, because the avian vets I go to aren’t available until monday. And I don’t know if it’s an emergency. I have some photos and films so maybe somebody knows what’s up. I already had contact with a avian vet, who is unfortunatly to far away. And she gave me the advice to clean the cloaca.

Ola is still lively, eats and plays. But is not tame so she bit me quit hard and I already got her twice today to examine her, so I won’t take her out the cage anymore so I don’t stress her out.

Sorry if the pics where I hold her are bad, she is the type of bird that will do anything to get out

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Keep her warm &quiet in separate cage from the other birds. Make, sure that she eats and is staying hydrated. A heating pad under half cage for warmth, cover the cage also, so warmth stays in the cage.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that your budgie is not well. Is the area around the vent swollen? Do you think she is in egg laying mode? Good that you have a vet appt. Keep us updated. Hope she will be better soon.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope your budgie will be okay!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sorry that your budgie is not well. Is the area around the vent swollen? Do you think she is in egg laying mode? Good that you have a vet appt. Keep us updated. Hope she will be better soon.
I actually was wondering egg too....

Chiiaraaaaa

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chiara
She is still very active and eating, so i dont think its an emergency. If a vent is the same as a cloaca, I think it looked a little bit swollen, and also bald and just irritated.
And about the egg, i am not sure. I never saw my budgies mate (my cockatiels do, since november omg) but I dont have a nest box for any of my birds. But maybe it could be an nonfertile egg? I am not sure.

I will keep you all updated about her and how it went at the appointment

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
She is still very active and eating, so i dont think its an emergency

This is not true. Birds that are unwell will sometimes continue to eat. If I were in your shoes the bird would be taken to an emergency vet to see what is going on. You sound inexperienced which is more reason to seek out medical care. I hope she is not too bad off and not in pain.

FYI birds have feet and toenails, not claws like cats.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Glad you were able to get her in to the vet and she is getting treatment. Continue to keep here warm and monitor her eating. Sometimes antibiotics can cause an upset tummy.
This is not true. Birds that are unwell will sometimes continue to eat. If I were in your shoes the bird would be taken to an emergency vet to see what is going on. You sound inexperienced which is more reason to seek out medical care. I hope she is not too bad off and not in pain.

FYI birds have feet and toenails, not claws like cats.

The original poster is from the Netherlands. English is not their native language.

@Chiiaraaaaa does the Netherlands have emergency vets?

Chiiaraaaaa

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chiara
Yes there are emergency vets, but there are so little avian vets, that it is almost impossible to get a good emergency vet who knows about birds. I have now three avian vets I can go to, but they are all at least 45min from my home. And they way the emergency vet works is that every vet at the clinic has one night or two that they are on standby. So if my avian vet is on standby I would be very lucky

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
To be fair, I've had multiple avian vets tell me that if my bird has symptoms but is still eating/drinking/pooping/acting relatively normal, it's NOT a same-day emergency. I think it's perfectly reasonable to get a next-day appointment with an avian vet if same-day care would be with an inexperienced provider.

Chiiaraaaaa

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chiara
To be fair, I've had multiple avian vets tell me that if my bird has symptoms but is still eating/drinking/pooping/acting relatively normal, it's NOT a same-day emergency. I think it's perfectly reasonable to get a next-day appointment with an avian vet if same-day care would be with an inexperienced provider.
Thanks, my regular vet clinic called my regular avian vet, and she was the one who told me to go to an other clinic the next day. And to be sure I called the other clinic I go to, and the assistant told the same thing. If she wasn’t acting normal, I would’ve driven to Germany if there was the only available avian vet!
In the car she still had the energy to scream the whole way to the vet, so guess if she was almost dying she wouldn’t be screaming, so that was a little calming to me

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
You're doing a great job. Sounds like she'll be on the mend now.

Chiiaraaaaa

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chiara
She isn’t bobbing her tail anymore, and doesn’t have faeces stuck to her cloaca. But she’s sleeping a bit more, but I think that’s ok, she sleeps on her usual spot (the swing) standing on one foot and isn’t sitting fluffy. She is getting more and more resisitent when I give the antibiotics, so she is getting her full energy back

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
She isn’t bobbing her tail anymore, and doesn’t have faeces stuck to her cloaca. But she’s sleeping a bit more, but I think that’s ok, she sleeps on her usual spot (the swing) standing on one foot and isn’t sitting fluffy. She is getting more and more resisitent when I give the antibiotics, so she is getting her full energy back
Glad to hear your bird is on the mend :)