• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie Quest!!

Marvel_ous

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trinity
As many of you may know, I am hoping to get a budgie. Soon. However, a few (hopefully) temporary hurdles lie in my way, namely;
-A mom fed up with animals thanks to dogs pooping on her carpets.

-Two sisters that won't take the dogs out when I'm away, hence the dogs pooping on the carpets.

As soon as these issues are resolved, I am presenting a VERY LONG (20+ slides to be exact) PowerPoint presentation to my parents.

Unfortunately, due to my sister's being irresponsible and lazy, I don't see that happening anytime soon unless I never leave the house for more than an hour or two.

Please, join me on my quest. (And please offer help!)

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Could you train your dogs to use pee pads? Not ideal, but if your sisters simply can't bring themselves to let your dogs relieve themselves with dignity you could use the pads as an alternative so they don't get punished for not being able to help themselves. :(

Stevetomobs

Strolling the yard
My dog has the same problem. We take him outside, he’s comes back in, wouldn’t you know it; The first thing he does is relieve himself. For a small dog he goes a whole dang lot.

Also, I think the pads might be a good idea. You could explain to you parents how birds make less of a mess. Just seeep up the leftover seeds and do what needs to be done by cleaning the cage.

Bulldogs&Birds

Meeting neighbors
Sorry about the dog! My bulldog, Charlie isn’t that bad with poop, but because of his wrinkles, I have to clean those and his belly, armpits, and around his tail! If I forget one day, he gets a bad rash. The list of other things he needs is endless, but it’s worth it in the end.:D Pads might be a good idea, but he might start thinking it’s fine to go to the bathroom in the house. That might make him not want to go outside then. Sorry I couldn’t be much help. Wish you luck!

upload_2018-8-23_20-13-19.jpeg

Marvel_ous

Real Name
Trinity
Thank you! I think it would be a very good point to make to my parents that a budgie wouldn't be half as messy as my two dogs, especially if I vacuumed around the cages daily.

I think I just need to be firmer and stay outside with Connor until he poops.

Your bulldog is so cute!!! Not really my kind of dog, I prefer active, athletically built breeds, but they are so CUTE!!

Marvel_ous

Real Name
Trinity
GUYS IT'S TIME TO CELEBRATE!!!!! Connor and Roxy have been behaving wonderfully since I established a morning routine of pee AND poop before they are allowed to come inside, breakfast for the three of us, either a walk or training, then start our day! My mom was temporarily upset with me being "obsessed with" :blink: parrots, but I haven't mentioned a word about birds to her in almost a week, subtly showing her it is not an obsession, as I have control over it. I think in a few days might be the perfect time to propose a bird!!

:yah:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Excellent progress!

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
My mom was temporarily upset with me being "obsessed with" :blink: parrots, but I haven't mentioned a word about birds to her in almost a week, subtly showing her it is not an obsession, as I have control over it.
@CrowCall - Trinity, I know this was probably not meant to be as funny as I thought it was when I read it... but it hit me as hilarious, and I thought - GREAT acting gal, you're going to win that Academy Award! Though I don't have anyone monitoring my obsession with my birds, I do think most folks recognize it straight away! :smuggrin::lol:

Marvel_ous

Real Name
Trinity
XD yeah, I still research and watch YouTube vids on parrots, A LOT, but I just do it when the mother is in another room. It’s not like I’d be punished for it, but it might set my progress on getting a bird back a bit. Dad’s fully on board, but he says if I want one I need to convince Mom on my own.

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
I would do allot of research before and make sure no one in the house is allergic to birds or have asthma as the dust can trigger attacks it does for me anyways

Marvel_ous

Real Name
Trinity
I had a budgie in the past and no one was bothered by the dust. Pretty sure we’re good in that aspect!

Marvel_ous

Real Name
Trinity
Oof on my new IPad most of the pages on here say “restricted” for no reason so I can only create new threads on the computer...

Anyways, I just spotted a budgie pair on my local Craigslist, and I’m considering asking my parents. Do you guys think it’s too soon? Their names are Calliope (green) and Calypso (pied), both males, and their owner (a teenage girl, near my age) no longer has time for them. They were previously hand-tame, and may be again with a bit of work. They are both around 2 years old. 2E176D04-2A16-4DCB-A151-28D5F2E73E63.jpeg CDE12A25-6004-4641-B019-050B1283DCCA.jpeg The girl’s mother is asking 75$ for both birds, cage, food, and toys. Is the cage big enough, or should I offer to just take the birds and purchase all-new equipment? If my parents accept, we will contact them and let them know we are interested, and schedule a time for us to pick them up after we get everything set up. Any questions I would need to make sure I ask?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Good luck!

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
They look healthy and the cage seems big enough.
Do you plan on keeping them in the cage or let them fly out? Cause they DO poop on carpets/curtains/tables/sofas/pictures/plants/etc too...

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Personally, I feel even small birds should have at least a flight cage, so I feel no, that cage is not big enough. I would look for a cage with dimensions around 32"x21" and 1/2" bar spacing.

Good luck!

Marvel_ous

Real Name
Trinity
Alright! I’ll see if I can talk to my parents sometime today, and figure out, if they say yes, how we’re going to go about this!

I’ll be getting them a new cage, new perches, and plenty of new toys! Along with good pellets, as by the looks of their cage the boys are on an all-seed diet. There might be a C&C here on the Avenue soon, along with the adorable F&F and M&M!

Feather

Avenue Veteran
I'd also get them a bigger cage, but their current one would be useful if you ever go on a trip and need to take them along.