• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie on airplane?

Boudy

Moving in
Hello everyone! Hope you're having a nice day:D
So i'm going to have a flight 8 hours long
sky (my budgie) is coming with me
And there is one thing concerning me, its the handfeeding...how will i be able to feed sky in the airplane? Sky begs so loudly...any tips
NOTE: sky is fully feathered and is able to fly

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump4:

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
You should plan a flight carefully, many airlines do not allow pets, or any pets except dogs and cats, as carry on. If you do find one that allows Sky, you'll need to pay for a pet ticket which can be quite expensive, and provide a vet certificate, and have an appropriate carrier. They tend to be very strict about allowing animals out, as well, so I doubt you would be able to feed her.

Also, if you bring her as carry on, security will probably ask you to remove her from the carrier

You may find it much easier to ship her counter to counter or with you as cargo. Baby birds - and puppies and kittens for that matter - are routinely shipped this way. The shipping is expensive, but less than the cost for a pet ticket for the plane.

I think you can get around the handfeeding as a problem if you shift her schedule a little bit so she thinks the flight is nighttime. Just put a cloth over the carrier openings to darken it a bit and she should sleep. Just be sure to feed her well before and leave some easy to eat things like a spray of millet and an apple slice in with her, just in case.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If they ask you to remove her from her carrier request that they take you to an enclosed room to do that.