• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie Hunched Over

SaraT

Moving in
My budgie Tobi has been hunched over lately and this has been accompanied by a slight (but not constant) voice change. He appears to possibly be breathing harder than usual, and is also most likely female.
I’ll most likely be taking him to the vet soon anyway, but I’m wondering if this is cause for concern? Hes about a year old right now. Other than that stuff, the weight is the same, hes eating still, and still enjoying his normal activities.
I have a picture of him attatched. He usually hunches a little bit normally, but a few weeks ago he started to hunch more.

Attachments

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I would take him to the vet sooner rather than later. He could have an infection or some other issue that needs to be addressed as soon as possible. Many things are treated easier when they are diagnosed early rather than later. As you know birds are good at hiding serious issues, so better safe than sorry. I hope he will be okay!

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I wouldn’t mess around with budgies. They’re so small and so adept at hiding issues. I’d be on the way to the avian vets ASAP as others have said.

I hope he’s fine and this is just an abundance of caution. :hug8:

SaraT

Moving in
Thanks guys, I’m at work but my boyfriend is at the vet with him right now. It’s not my normal vet because hes out of town, so I’m a bit anxious. I’ll let you guys know what it is when I find out

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What types of tests were done to determine that this was yeast? Good that Tobi was seen by the vet and hope all will be well.

SaraT

Moving in
The vet just felt his tummy. We are going to take him back for a follow up in a couple weeks.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
o_O I'm not sure how he could tell by feeling his tummy that he's got a yeast infection?

Whenever we have tests done, there are fecal floats, crop swabs, swabs up the keister, blood samples taken, physical exam...

SaraT

Moving in
I had my other vet explain to me before that you can feel if their gut is squishy (or something of the sorts) it means theres a yeast infection. This was another vet doing it the same way, so it seems to be trustworthy.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I never heard of the tummy technique either. My vet does blood work and cultures to check for bacterial and fungal infections.

SaraT

Moving in
They offered to do bloodwork but my boyfriend said no because it was a couple hundred dollars extra. If I was there I’d have said yes. He’s making an appointment for my Cockatiel now because it could have been contagious, so I told him to take the budgie back and get the bloodwork done. I’m wondering if these are very trustworthy vets now. I did some more research online and I’m not finding anything on the tummy test... My main vet has been an avian vet for 30+ years though I’d hope he knows what he’s talking about. I’m relatively new to all of this...

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
A vet can’t diagnose anything like a yeast infection without the proper testing. They can guess; but they can’t call it a diagnosis. Not legally or ethically.
Like peachfaced said it’s usually got to be a combo of different testing methods for birds. I know everytime any of my birds had a checkup for something they got a crop swab, bloodwork, and fecal to start.

Last edited:

SaraT

Moving in
My cockatiel is perfectly healthy according to the vet (hooray!) and Tobi is not hunching over anymore or showing any funky signs, he's actually seeming happier now, singing more and dancing like he did before his old cage mate passed away. I know they're good at hiding sickness, though, so I am still watching him closely. We are medicating him twice a day still, and have a follow-up soon. Got a blanket over the top of his cage, and extra food in his bowl.
Just wanted to keep this thread updated because when I search around google and find threads with issues my birds may have, it bothers me to not see the outcome.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good that Tobi is doing better and your cockatiel is healthy!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
We appreciate updates.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Thanks for the update and I’m glad your birds are doing well now!