• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie harness

Katie H

Moving in
Hi all,

I was looking at getting a flightsuit or a harness for one of my budgies.
I saw on an old post that the aviator harness weren't recommended as they only had xs (?). But looking on Amazon etc they go to xxs mini and are marketed for budgies and lovebirds etc.
Has anyone any experience in this, and or recommendations for safely taking my budgie around in something easy to put on?
Thanks!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Aviator make an XXS.
I take my lovebird Sydney out in a harness, he let me put it on the first go. He wasn´t scared or anything like that. But he does nibble on it, so it´s a working progress. It was easy to put on.
I tried putting the same harness on Adelie and he was freaking out so I stopped. I tried once more since and the same thing so I have not tried again.
The first time I put the harness on Sydney, I took him to the community patio, and spend an hour out there. Just in case he spooked.
I don´t take Sydney out on my own, my boyfriend always comes too so we have more eyes to watch out for dangers/predators but also to enjoy being out with him together :)

I would recommend, once you get the harness on, take your bird outside every time (even if just in the garden) so s/he knows that once the harness is on, s/he gets to go outside and see the world.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not to be discouraging, but I wouldn't take a bird as small as a budgie outside with only a harness; that protects them from getting separated from you, but doesn't prevent attacks from birds of prey or other audacious predators. One member here had her beloved GCC plucked straight off her shoulder by a hawk. It wasn't afraid of her or deterred by her presence in any way.

With little birds, I always suggest carriers for outdoor excursions. They allow for all the joys of sunlight, fresh air and adventure, without the potential devastating risks of losing your pet to a keen-eyed hunter or a sudden gust.

Katie H

Moving in
Thanks guys, and with the harness training he would probably be on my shoulder or have very little free reign to begin with as I'm paranoid. Thankfully hawks or really any predatory animal are not an issue where I am, so although ill be taking precautions there shouldn't be much worry.

Thanks for the advice Zara, I think the harness is a great idea.
I'm just curious if a flightsuit might be easier to get on for a wiggly budgie. Has anyone had experience with both?

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
I have the aviator and a handmade harness that isn’t a flight suit. It’s mean to be easy to put on and take off. It has a hole for the head and then 2-strips that velcro begins the wings. We have one for our conure and one for our CAG.

C6C07CAA-4A24-4FB1-AA95-2F4DFD9D1E35.jpeg 1210C0FA-0310-42C4-A3C8-DB9E3134AA9F.jpeg

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew