• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Budgie Foot Issues

CharlieX

Checking out the neighborhood
Hey all, bit a of a longtime profile-less visitor (looking for general tips and whatnot), first time poster.

Our older budgie Zack has been having an interesting problem with his feet as of late.

We thought he had injured his foot because he was limping and staying on one foot a lot, so we took out some toys that we thought might have caused the problem and moved a few bars around to make it easier for him to maneuver. He seemed to go back to normal for a while then started limping again. It's just recently I noticed he has some odd growths or swelling on his feet (pictures attached).

He moves around with a little difficulty but can otherwise move around fine, he eats and drinks as much as he always has and is almost the same behavior wise except that he doesn't move around as much.

Am I looking at some sort of injury or possibly an infection of some sort?
I thought it was bumblefoot but from what I saw on the bottom of his feet he doesn't have any lesions or sores, nor does his skin seem to be peeling. From some image searches and scouring other websites I can't seem to find any pictures that look like what Zack has on his feet.

Thanks for any advice and help, it's all very much appreciated.

photo_2019-02-24_14-10-53.jpg *I wasn't able to get very close here but the swelling is visible in both feet and the white-ish spot on his left foot is visible close to the middle of his foot.

photo_2019-02-24_15-29-04.jpg * This is where it seems to be at its worst

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
First question is have you taken him to an avian vet to get a diagnosis? I don't think any of us could tell what this lesion is from a photo. If it is causing discomfort and perching difficulty then yes, please take him to a vet. For now I would pad the bottom of his cage and keep the perches low. Flat or platform perches may put less stress on the foot.

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hi Charlie, welcome to the forum.

Even if someone can tell you exactly what that is, it is highly likely he will need medicine or medical attention anyway. Easier and quicker to just go straight to the vet.
Please keep us updated on Zack

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
As suggested, a vet visit would be best. If feet issues are left untreated it can end up requiring radical treatments. Even if not-depending on how long the issue has to fester-the damage could prove to be permanent. Please take him to the vet as soon as possible :)

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Welcome Aboard!

CharlieX

Checking out the neighborhood
Hey all, sorry I basically disappeared after posting this. Quite a bit happened rather quickly.

Initially when I made this threat I had been waiting on another paycheck so I could afford the vet and was hoping to see if I could alleviate some of Zack's pain or at least identify what his issue was while I waited. Eventually I had enough money to cover a vet appointment.
When I made the appointment it was on Friday so we had to wait for the avian vet to return to work on Monday.

Unfortunately Zack's health took a rapid downturn over the weekend to the point where he could no longer climb, though he still ate and drank regularly. I identified the condition as gout after scouring the web and finally finding a matching description (and the vet confirmed over the phone), and while he was still fighting over the weekend and trying to resume his normal activities the vet told us that it might not be treatable as Zack is up in years (12) and might just be reaching the end of his natural life.
As much as it broke my heart, and against the part of me that wanted to bring him home and try treating him, it was decided to let Zack go. As he was a family pet we kind of had to make a group decision, initially I was against putting him down but in the end I don't think I could have watched him suffer any longer. It didn't seem fair to him.

The vet and a breeder we talked to said there wasn't much of a way we could have seen it coming until it was already affecting him badly, but I still can't shake the feeling I didn't do enough. It hurts to let him go, and it hurts more to watch his companion grieve his loss. What bugs me the most was knowing he was ill and not having the money to immediately take him to the vet.
In the end, we did what we could and he did live a long, happy life. I still have his companion Sam to care for, and I intend to do right by him by taking care of the companion he loved so much.

Thanks for your time, I wish it could have ended better though.

Kodigirl210

I’m very sorry to hear he didn’t make it but sometimes it’s better for them if we let them go rather than drag out what will just be a lot more pain-filled days.

Hopefully Sam stays chipper & keeps going along. Just make sure he gets lots of attention & treats as it will be easy for Sam to fall into depression :)

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I'm so sorry for your loss.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month