• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie doesn't like coming out of cage

Carmela

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Carmela
I've had my budgie Koolaid for 2 years now. I got him from a petco which I know is bad but I didn't know that at the time. He is completely hand tame. He hates coming out of his cage. He will sit on the perch I bought him for 10 minutes and fly right back into his cage. I keep him in my room because I have a dog and I don't think Koolaid can fly for long enough to get away from my dog. He will come out of his cage, sometimes I have to grab him which he doesn't mind at all anymore.

Should I force him to spend time outside of his cage? I know they need time out of the cage but he just doesn't enjoy it. As soon as he is back in his cage he is completely happy and fluffs right up. I have tried making coming out a good experience with millet and head scritch but he prefers his cage still.

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Never ever force him, you'll only traumatise him and make leaving the cage even more frightening. Some birds simply do not enjoy leaving their safe space, and violating that safe space will make him distrust you. Definitely DO NOT grab him.

He will decide when he wants to leave his cage, if ever. You can't make him like something.

I have a twelve-year-old cockatiel who's the same way. Over time he has become comfortable with leaving his cage to sit on top of it, but generally that's as far as he will go, and that's perfectly fine. He's happy, and that's the main thing.

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
Since he is handtamed,you can get his fav treat and put it just at the edge of the cage and tempt him to come out.Reason why I mentioned handtamed is because you can sort of make him climb on your hand for the treat and slowly leave the cage and see how he reacts.Don't be sad if he doesn't come out,patience is key and if coming out is something that you really want to make it happen,wait and retry.
Get him to associate the treat with coming close to the exit and slowly,out of the cage and so and so.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Just leave the door open so he knows his options. you can hang a bungee perch outside the door too that spirals to the top of his cage. Never force him, you will violate the trust you have.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
My budgies like their cage too. I open when I come home and they'll fly out, but then they will sit on their branch for a while, take a couple flying rounds again, and back in their cage. I always thought it was very bad that they couldn't come out and would be prevented to fly from being locked inside, had bad conscious for being at work so long and they couldn't fly, etc .. and when I come home, they fly twice and they are done... Just sit there on the branch over the cage, or on the one inside the cage.
So now my philosophy is: the door is open, if they want to fly they can, if not then, that's their choice!!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You used two words that should not be for a bird, force and grab. Try to perch train him before anything else. That means he will get on a perch you hold in your hand and you are also holding a little millet in your hand at the same time and he will stay on the perch. Make life interesting for him and safe for flying in your room. Have a bird stand you either make or purchase on a table where he can see it. Place toys and millet on the stand. Take him to the stand for play. Close the cage door while he is out of the cage. Play bird music from youtube of budgie sounds whenever he is out of the cage. Make this a routine so he will learn to enjoy.

My two prefer to stay in the cage also but I have things hanging from the ceiling they enjoy flying to and sitting on.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
What is there for your budgie to do outside of the cage? He needs something to occupy his mind - budgies are easily bored.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I keep him in my room because I have a dog and I don't think Koolaid can fly for long enough to get away from my dog.

And since he probably realizes that the dog is in your home, he's probably scared to come outside where he thinks a predator might yank him up. I am assuming that your dog is always out of the room when your budgie cage is open?
(hopefully).

If you are putting your doggy elsewhere while letting Koolaid out, is he still able to hear him at all?
You are wise never to take chances letting him out when doggy is around. Many here have had their birds killed or maimed horribly by dogs.

Can we see photos?

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and Koolaid. :)

All of our bird's cages are open when we're at home. (we're retired, so we're at home a lot ;)) The birds are free to come and go as they please. The budgies are the biggest "homebodies"...rarely. if ever, coming out of their cage. They are healthy and happy with this situation. They live and control their lives as they see fit.:)

That being said, when they do come out for some "fly time," we are thrilled! They will buzz around, doing loops and dives over and over in front of us...they're just so enchanting to see, enjoying themselves.