• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie clutch hand feeding

Rob Wendover

Meeting neighbors
Hello I have a question and wonder if you can help me with . My budgie Lucy has hatched five babies and I want to start hand feeding at three weeks old but when the oldest is three weeks old the youngest will be less than two weeks old . Question I have is would it be OK to take out the two older ones since they are only a day apart and then a week later take out the remaining three or should I just take them all at the same time when the oldest is three weeks old . I have experience with hand feeding I have just never had one of my birds hatch eggs and had to remove them from the nest box For hand feeding.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If mom & dad are doing a good job feeding I would just leave them be. JMHO

Rob Wendover

Meeting neighbors
Mom is looking tired and weak and she is spening a lot of time outside the nest box. I am worried about her. I just want to give here a break before it breaks her.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Why not leave them all in the box and just feed them in there from time to time instead of taking over completely? That way, they can all stay together without completely exhausting mom.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You can co-parent as Garet suggested, or you can pull them. It’s up to you whether you pull each one or some or all. Here are my thoughts.....

I just talked with a breeder who pulled each one as it reached 3 weeks so hers are all feeding on separate ‘schedules’ as far as timing, duration, and weaning. That’s the way she has always done it.

That sounds way too complicated to me. Pulling 2 now and 3 later makes more sense as far as your own scheduling, how much they eat and how often etc. you’re only juggling 2 different schedules instead of 5. I don’t think I personally would pull them all at once because if then hen is already showing signs of exhaustion she might stress herself too much worrying about them.

Co-parenting is probably the best of both worlds. 5 babies is a lot to handle for a bird, and by co-parenting you give the hen a break and the babies get used to being handled. Also, you run a greater risk of losing babies by hand feeding than you would if they were parent raised. So by keeping the parent involved you’re increasing the likelihood of survival. I don’t consider what I do co-parenting, but when I have a hen with more than 4 babies I give them formula twice a day just to help out.

Will the male help at all? I don’t do budgies, with my finches and canaries the males are better parents than the hens most of the time.

Please give your hen a calcium supplement during this time. They make powdered ones, or you can get liquid calcium at the farm supply store and use that. There may also be other vitamins she is missing depending on her diet.