• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Budgie: chipped beak under cere, scabbed over

Cygne

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
My budgie, Belle, has a bit of beak chipped under her cere. The scabbed blood is under the still-attached flake. Will be making a vet appt once they open.

Questions:

1) is there anything I can do before the appointment?

2) is there danger of this getting worse? Cracks spreading, whatever?

3) is it possible for my other female, Sprite, to have inflicted this injury?

Sprite, who is tetchy at the best of times, is likely preparing to have a clutch.

Bluh. It seems so unfair to move Belle away from her little flock and out of the big new flight cage, but I'd rather have her safe.

Attachments

Cygne

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Ugh. It was almost definitely Sprite. New rule: until Sprite's hormones are done inconveniencing me, the girls stay in separate cages when I'm not here to supervise.

Cripes, Belle. Consider, next time, not putting ur face in Sprite's nest.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Aww poor baby. I hope is does not hurt and heals quickly.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That's gonna have to grow out,,,it'll be a while, poor baby...vet will maybe prescribe pain meds, and on your end,,,soft foods...

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Separate cages is a good idea. You don't want anything else to happen. Hope she will heal quickly.

Cygne

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Aww poor baby. I hope is does not hurt and heals quickly.
She seems alright today, if a little on edge. She's not acting like it's bothering her much. I'm giving her extra millet too so life isn't all bad :)

That's gonna have to grow out,,,it'll be a while, poor baby...vet will maybe prescribe pain meds, and on your end,,,soft foods...
I was planning to make egg food for Sprite's benefit, but I imagine Belle could really use the extra protein and whatnot as well. Thanks for the advice.

Separate cages is a good idea. You don't want anything else to happen. Hope she will heal quickly.
Yeah, unfortunately. It seems so unfair that she's the one who has to be separated into a smaller cage, but it's really not an option to move Sprite or Hermes.

Cygne

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Due to the holiday and an absolutely obscene amt of snow I haven't been able to get to a vet x[ The roads are pretty much impassable.

I'll keep y'all updated.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I felt bad when I had to separate birds and one of them stayed in the shared cage and the other one had to be moved into what was available which was a smaller cage. I've slowly been upgrading the birds who were "downgraded". Even though it seems unfair it's definitely safer.

Cygne

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Got the cage set up, she'll be separated for tomorrow. The only avian vet in town won't be back from holiday until Tuesday and I have a Wednesday appt.

I'm worried abt cracks spreading. It looks like one is.

Cygne

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
IMG_6536.JPG
((Baby girl does an investigation check on light box))

It might just be a bit of dried blood that spread. I have no idea.