• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie Breeders??

jujube1209

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julie
I am looking to find a budgie breeder at least somewhat close to me (NE Kansas). A 3 hour (or so) drive would not be out of the question. Is there an accurate listing of breeders? I've seen some online, but they appear to be really dated, and none of the links work.

I'm not opposed to picking up one from a local pet store, but am fearful of bringing diseases to my current flock. It will be my daughter's bird (and I am well aware that if/when her interest fades, I will need to step in, and monitor regardless), so it either needs to be hand raised or pretty young. I have had budgies in the past, but it has been 15 or so years.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
How old is your daughter? Budgies are small birds but still need the care and enrichment of a large bird. I am glad you are not keen on a pet store bird. They are often sick and difficult to tame. Finding a good breeder may take a while and can involve shipping or you driving to a nearby state. I live in Maryland and my English budgies are from New Jersey.

jujube1209

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julie
She will be 9. She helps me tremendously with the birds that I have now. She helps change papers, she helps feed, and she properly changes their water. She interacts with them as much as they will allow. She sees the relationship I have with my birds, and she wants that so bad, but my birds just will not have her. She has been bitten several times and still has interest and wants to keep trying. She needs to boost her confidence with parrots. I am hopeful that the smaller size of the beak (while can still hurt, won't do the same damage as my caique) will allow just that. And she, as you mentioned, will still have all of the characteristics (good and/or bad) of a larger parrot. I bought her a book about parakeets, and she has been eagerly reading it. Please know that the bird will be properly cared for, regardless of who is the one actually taking care of it.

I think I found a breeder about 3 hours from me, still in the same state. She has some available babies that should be ready right around my daughter's birthday next month.

Reactions: Jas

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Well that all sounds like this will work out. We have found birds in general are weary of children because of their fast movements and often loud talking. English budgies are more calm than American budgies. Please wish her a happy birthday and good luck with the bird. Also please do get a flight cage and not one of those small cages with guillotine doors they sell in pet stores.

Last edited:

jujube1209

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julie
We did find a used Vision Cage for a very good deal. I hope we don't hate it. It has nice, big doors, and I hope it is a good size for a single budgie. It is the medium single-level one. After quarantine, the budgie will be in the same room with my other birds, who are all housed individually.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I had the tall one for a while and found vision cages to be difficult to clean and very flimsy. It ended up in the dumpster. The flight cages are better and not too expensive. A good cage should be wider than it is tall giving a bird room to fly and flap wings.

budgies123

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
would a budgie being delivered to you be out of the quesrtion? my budgie poogie was sent from sissysbirdcolony and the budgies are handraised and she ships birds out. any questions youll need to ask her or visit her site which is sissysbirdcolony