• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie body language

Mercur4

Checking out the neighborhood
My sister got a budgie earlier this week on Sunday for a while the new budgie just stayed in the same place cause he was scared I guess and then he was getting used to my sister and me but then people kept going in her room and either cornering him and petting him or putting their face up against the cage staring at Negan (the budgie) they won't listen to us when we tell them to stop and get out
I'm gonna go out and get a lock for her door to stop them for coming in and scaring him but I think he doesn't like us anymore cause now most of the time when one of us walks in he'll lift a leg and pick up his wings when he sees us (no head bobbing but feathers are fluffed) and he also sometimes clicks his beak at me but not my sister I'm thinking he doesn't like me.
So what does the leg and wing thing mean and the beak thing? Does he not trust one or both of us yet or has he started seeing us as "evil" to him

Oh I almost forgot we got him from a pet store cause the only breeder we could find near us wanted way more then we could afford and I think he's under 6 months he has the black lines all the way down to his beak

Birdlovesme

Sprinting down the street
Okay, yes all of that can definitely scare the little guy. And my budgies do that too. My best guess is that it's a sign to back off/anger/scared.
The fact that humans scared him, means he'll be scared of humans in general, so just go back to square one. Talk with him softly, and just spend time around him to show you're not a threat. It will take many tries and a while, but it's worth it.
Once he's used to you, and calm, try feeding him a treat (ex: millet, fruit, etc) from between the cage bars, and build trust. Keep talking softly to him, to help calm him down aswell.
Hope this helps, I'm no expert.. :unsure1::D

Birdlovesme

And also, to try and make the "people" stop, tell them why it's bad, and show them a right way to interact.
(Ex: He'll never trust them, he won't come out, etc) A lock is a good idea too.
Allow him a few more days alone to get used to his environment,with not much interaction, other than giving him food, and water.

Mercur4

Ok thanks we'll do that, right now we play music a lot and sing along sometimes he'll chirp during the songs. He also chirps and makes noises when we aren't there a lot but then stops when we come in idk if he's talking to the birds outside (we normally crack the window open) or if he wants to see one of us and he stops cause we came google isn't really helping when I try to search why he's making the noises then stopping

do you have any tips on how to know when to move to the next step? He'll still clean his feathers but I've never seen him eat/drink or move around when I'm in there but he moves around and eats/drinks sometimes when only my sister is in there
I've tried explaining why to them but my dads girlfriend tells us we're overreacting and to back off cause she used to work at pet smart so that's why I'm just gonna get the lock

Mercur4

We have both bowls that hook onto the cage and tube ones that have a small opening for the food/water right now we're using the tube ones so we don't have to reach inside, should we switch to the bowls or are the tube ones fine

Birdlovesme

You'll know when to move on when he's back to a normal schedule around you. Like eating,drinking, staying calm, etc.. You can just sit by his cage and do work, or read , not paying much mind to him
The stopping chirping is normal I think, it's just showing a bit of him being scared.
By tube feeders, do you mean the ones that stand upright on the outside of the cage?

Also, I'm not one to judge, but working a petsmart dosent give you much power..

Mercur4

Yes the ones that stand up right outside of the cage I forgot the actual name of them
I know and from what I've been reading on here and on other bird sites most of what she believes to be correct about budgues is wrong but she seems to think her work at petsmart makes her an expert and since we're "just kids" she doesn't listen to us

Birdlovesme

Okay, I think the tube feeders are fine for water, but I don't prefer it for food.
Good luck on your journey.