• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie and Brotogeris housed together?

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
Has anyone tried having these two species together? I was wondering if they'd be ok if they were both young and brought into the house at the same time.

AvianCrew

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
michelle
Well, do they get along together? That's the question. It would be fine, if they were both young. Though, you might need an extra cage just in case.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
In my home I don't even cage same species together unless the bird chooses to. Even if they get along at first, they might not once puberty hits, so in my opinion its easier to just house them separate from the start.

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
Well it's all just hypothetical right now. But good points from you both, thanks.

ellecee

Sitting on the front steps
Has anyone tried having these two species together? I was wondering if they'd be ok if they were both young and brought into the house at the same time.
Hi, I answered your other question about the noise level, but wanted to chip in here. I wouldn't house them together, unless you intend on feeding them separately. Their nutritional needs are too different, in my opinion. Brotos require a lower protein diet, with fresh foods consisting mostly of fruit with added veggies and grain. Budgies require more veggies, with very little fruit.

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
Thanks so much for both of your answers! I didn't consider their diet being a reason to house them separately, but that makes perfect sense!

goosegirl

Meeting neighbors
I have a Brotogeris(kiwi) and definitely would not recommend. They tend to be very jealous birds.

Mine grew up with some parrotlets, so is more tolerant to them, but would bicker with them for attention and space. My Green Cheek Conure loves all birds and continually tries to be friends with Kiwi, but Kiwi just won't have it. He even attacks the dogs and cats when they come into his space, or he feels they are getting attention he deserves.

However, Kiwi is the sweetest bird and loves all his humans, even strangers. His favorite thing is just to cuddle and be pet and loved on. He does not bite at all, which my son appreciates. He is also very smart and has learned several different whistles and is trying to talk now. But I could not imagine ever housing him with another bird, and I hear his temperament is pretty typical.

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
Thanks Tara, I appreciate that. When I went to visit my baby broto yesterday I was observing his/her actions and I felt like it would be a bad idea too. It just doesn't sound like a good personality match. I am worried that the baby will be lonely, having come from such a noisy place with it's siblings to my home. But I put on classical music every day for my dog, and I can play one of those "8 hours of budgie sounds" type Youtube recordings when I'm at work.

goosegirl

Meeting neighbors
I don't think you have to worry about a broto baby being lonely.

Mine is happy to be in his cage and have his space away from everyone.

They don't seem to be overly curious and energetic. Mine just wants his people and doesn't care for playing. He is happy with coming out twice a day for an hour or two at a time and will usually do his special whistle when he wants to have play time. Play time is also a plate of fresh veggies and fruit or nutriberri on the coffee table while we watch tv and he is perfectly happy to snack, walk around then snuggle time. And beat up a cat or dog in the process, lol.

As long as you can dedicate time to a baby he or she will be fine with you as it's companion. I have noticed they don't crave the attention of other animals. They just want some attention from their people each day and aren't demanding about it as say a green cheek who can be a sassy brat!

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
That is so good to know! It really sets my mind at ease :hug8: