• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Buddies Won't eat fruits

Isaiah A

Moving in
I have 2 budgies I have tried feeding them fruits but they won't touch them I try to feed them fruits in different ways like putting it in a separate bowl but the fruit spoils quickly so I cannot leave it in there very long the only thing they will eat is coriander (cilantro) or spinach I am nervous about feeding them to much spinach because I read somewhere (I forgot) that spinach contains oleic acid or something like that and that it binds to calcium in the bird leading to calcium deficiency I have some mineral blocks in there too.

geff

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Geoff
A little "trick" I have used is, eat the fruit in front of them, make pleasant "MMMmmm" sounds as if you are really really enjoying it.
Do this a number of times then offer them the fruit and see if they emulate you, and eat it.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I can't get Fred, my U2, to even try fruits. I gave him a grape and he nibbled it a little and then looked around for a place to dump it.

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
A lot of people have a hard time getting budgies to eat fruit, they just tend to not like it as much as veggies. They eat grasses and seeds in the wild so that’s what they crave. Veggies are generally healthier than fruits anyway, fruit contains a lot of sugars and many of the nutrients in fruits can also be found in veggies. Continue offering fruits for some variety, they might decide to try it someday but I wouldn’t be super concerned about getting them to eat it. Try giving them some broccoli and carrots, my keets love those