• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bubo's Slight Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

keikoasmom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Our Goffin's Cockatoo, Bubo, is almost 12 years old. We got her a few months after our BFA Keikoa, and she was gorgeous until soon after my mother's stroke
on 9/11. I was gone a lot, at the hospital and then nursing homes and it took me a little while to realize that Bubo had been feather chewing.
It was a problem off and on, but last winter it became such a problem that I tiold my husband what my bird friend had said when her cockatoo started feather plucking to excess: that she would put her bird to sleep if she started self-mutilating. She couldn't bear that.
Jim was horrified, but felt the same. Bubo's chest and tummy were bare, her wings were like skeleton wings and she had chewed her tail to tiny stubs.
She finally bit a tail feather too deep and was bleeding one night. I stopped the bleeding, but started reading all of the forums I could, and the only thing I
hadn't tried in awhile was "Pluck No More". I had some, ordered some more, and tried it again, religiously.
Every time Bubo started to fiddle with her feathers, I would spray her with the diluted spray and used it in her drinking water.
It worked!
She doesn't have all of her feathers back,but her tail and wings are 75% better, no more bleeding, and her back is mostly feathered!
Her belly is still a bit bare, but she is much better than before. Bubo is very nervous, and we can't have her groomed, she goes into seizures,
but I am hoping that not visiting the groomer or the vet will help her, also. She is a very sweet, and cuddly girl who loves to tell everyone how goofy Goffins are, and I hope she will be around for quite awhile!

Keikoa and Bubo last winter

Bubo and Keikoa now....
Bubo likes a nap after breakfast~

Last edited:

Leza

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
wow!!! what great progress!! :heart:

sodakat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
She looks wonderful and so clean! I don't think I've ever seen such a white bird. Looks like she feels good too, you know?

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
that is fantastic progress!!!

keikoasmom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Thank you all!
I'm sorry, been away for awhile, but my daughter was over on Saturday and was happy for Bubo, hasn't seen her in months!
It reminded me of the thread. I need to replace the pics, I must have moved some.

It should re-size in a few.

Here is a good one, my youngest son:

Kissing parrots runs in the family, even with people who are not bird people! :lol: :lol:

Bubo in full-alert fluff, she is the "point man" for the flock. She takes defense seriously.
This is her reaction to the camera. :omg: Lol.....

Status
Not open for further replies.