• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bubble Eye GoldFish, Fantail, Or Betta?

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I was also able to add in a school of harlequin rasboras. But that 5gal and all its equipment was just money down the drain.

You'll ultimately be paying less if you skip the cheaper options.
Harlequin are great additions to a betta tank! Nice choice. Works great with plants too because they will help with up-keeping some algae growth. Isn't it much more rewarding to watch them thrive? :) You can really see their personalities come out.

Feather

Avenue Veteran
Harlequin are great additions to a betta tank! Nice choice. Works great with plants too because they will help with up-keeping some algae growth. Isn't it much more rewarding to watch them thrive? :) You can really see their personalities come out.
Absolutely! I was able to teach Kraken a few tricks and it was really fun to see him swim up and get all excited to see me. :heart: I love him so much more than I would have expected I could love a fish. I did have to eventually move the school to a different tank after Kraken went blind, but they're all still thriving. I had another fishkeeper boggle in amazement as she told me they were the biggest harlequins she had ever seen. :hilarious:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Which of these three should I go with if I ever were to get a fish? I've had like 2 Fantials and Maybe 2 Bettas in the past, but I'm recently really fascinated with the bubble eye goldfish. Any opinions? Ideal is something that would be okay in a 5 gallon tank :)
Maybe you could get a couple of these?
s-l300.jpg

WhteRnbwBirdie

Hit the Road
Real Name
Erica
Nice sarcasm @Zara. My sister kept her Betta in a 2.5. Gallon. & a Goldfish vet? I can buy a fantial for $3.99 at Meijer. It's not worth spending money on a vet. Sure, I'll buy some antibiotics for ICK, but I'm not taking a Goldfish to a vet. Like... what? Are you feeling okay?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
So because an animal costs little money, they are not worthy of seeing a vet?

My lovebird cost me about 10 us dollars... would you say he is worthy to see a vet, or is he not expensive enough?

What about a baby? They´re free. Do they get to see a DR. Your point is not valid.

I don´t understand why you take the time to post messages on an animal loving forum if you don´t love animals. It blows my mind.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So because an animal costs little money, they are not worthy of seeing a vet?

My lovebird cost me about 10 us dollars... would you say he is worthy to see a vet, or is he not expensive enough?

What about a baby? They´re free. Do they get to see a DR. Your point is not valid.

I don´t understand why you take the time to post messages on an animal loving forum if you don´t love animals. It blows my mind.

Because she knows she'll get a reaction

Feather

Avenue Veteran
Nice sarcasm @Zara. My sister kept her Betta in a 2.5. Gallon. & a Goldfish vet? I can buy a fantial for $3.99 at Meijer. It's not worth spending money on a vet. Sure, I'll buy some antibiotics for ICK, but I'm not taking a Goldfish to a vet. Like... what? Are you feeling okay?
Why the he|l are you here? Just to boast about what is at best sub-par and at worst abusive and negligent animal care and husbandry? Just to poke fun at the people who actually care if an animal, regardless of size or initial price tag, lives a good life and receives responsible care and necessary vetting?

You always know best. You ask questions and then ridicule and disregard anyone who tries to help you. I sincerely don't understand why you bother if what we have to say is so nonsensical and meaningless to you.

WhteRnbwBirdie

Hit the Road
Real Name
Erica
@Brittany0208 I don't want a reaction. I want advice instead of naysayers everywhere I turn . I got the advice I seeked. I know now that a Betta would be the best breed suited for a smaller tank.
You cannot compare a human baby to a goldfish, lol. I would do everything in my power to give my baby the best medical care possible.

Last edited:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
That goldfish is a goldfishes baby.

The way you talk about and treat any animal you currently own or want to own is cruel.
This thread was packed full of recommendations. Like feather said, you know best.

I´m sorry but I´m done. Hope you have a crappy life so you know how your pets feel. I know you don´t even care.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Brittany0208 I don't want a reaction. I want advice instead of naysayers everywhere I turn . I got the advice I seeked. I know now that a Betta would be the best breed suited for a smaller tank.
You cannot compare a human baby to a goldfish, lol. I would do everything in my power to give my baby the best medical care possible.

I really hope you never reproduce

WhteRnbwBirdie

Hit the Road
Real Name
Erica
Why the he l l not? I clearly put human care above animal Care, something you all seem to fail miserably at.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My avian vet had a pot belly pig and goldfish in the waiting room last time I was there with my bird and rats. Do you think that the person with the goldfish valued their pet less than the one with the pig simply because they spent less on it?

My rats cost me $5 a piece and only live 2 to 3 years. I've already spent $80+ on them in vet bills.

The worth of a life isn't measured in dollars.

WhteRnbwBirdie

Hit the Road
Real Name
Erica
@Mizzely l agree.. they are rats, you can touch them and hold them, interact with them. They're like a pgmy hedgehog or something. A land animal. Fish are great, but is a fish worth as much in value as say, a cockatiel.. a hamster, even? I don't think so.

Feather

Avenue Veteran
Why the he l l not? I clearly put human care above animal Care, something you all seem to fail miserably at.
Loving animals and recognizing that animal lives hold value and meaning does not equate to disregarding human life. It is entirely possible to have empathy and compassion for ALL species, and makes a whole lot more sense to me than picking and choosing which ones to care about and which to disregard because of a meaningless price tag.

I care very deeply for the humans in my life and would go to the ends of the earth for them. I would do the same for my birds and my fish and my cat.

I just have very little patience for selfish and cruel idiots. :)

Putting you on ignore now, because you are not worth the blood pressure. Cheers!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have had very interactive fish before. In many ways I've had fish that I loved more than I even love my rats. You completely missed my point.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Initial purchase cost means little. You invest all the time, love, care and bonding. The initial cost is what it is. Waffles is cute and sweet. I have had him for years. I love him. He does little back-flips in the morning for breakfast. He is a fish and he doesn't view me the exact way I view him. As an animal care taker, you take on the responsibility to provide a thriving environment for the animal. If you don't value fish enough to get them the proper enclosure, maybe it isn't the pet for you.

Goldfish can live with you for decades. If he has an injury, we are getting a vet! It is that simple.

This is an animal and pet oriented forum. Consider your audience before you troll.. then again I am sure you enjoy the attention.

WhteRnbwBirdie

Hit the Road
Real Name
Erica
I can understand that. All I was saying is that I personally would never really take a fish to a vet. That concept kinda baffles me.

WhteRnbwBirdie

Hit the Road
Real Name
Erica
5 gallons is fine for a Betta. Another poster has already said. That is the 'proper enclosure"

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I can understand that. All I was saying is that I personally would never really take a fish to a vet. That concept kinda baffles me.
If you want to know more about it you can google fish vet and see some videos or photos. A lot of fish vets actually come to your house so the fish can stay in their environment. It is pretty normal for people with fancy goldfish and koi to get medical care for their fish.

Fancy goldfish may cost $3.99 at the store you mentioned, but there is a whole world around fancy goldfish. Waffles set me back $80 on initial purchase since he is a purebred sukura ranchu. He is pet quality though, doesn't have the proper form to have been in a breeding program.