• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bubble Eye GoldFish, Fantail, Or Betta?

WhteRnbwBirdie

Hit the Road
Real Name
Erica
Which of these three should I go with if I ever were to get a fish? I've had like 2 Fantials and Maybe 2 Bettas in the past, but I'm recently really fascinated with the bubble eye goldfish. Any opinions? Ideal is something that would be okay in a 5 gallon tank :)

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
The only one of those that would be remotely okay in a 5gal as the bare minimum is a betta. I wouldn't personally go less than 10gal, as a lot of that space will be taken up by the filtration and heating system.

Goldfish get ginormous and need no less than 20gal-30gal for a single fish, depending on the variety, +10gal for each additional fish. The little ones you see at the stores are babies.

WhteRnbwBirdie

Hit the Road
Real Name
Erica
But don't goldfish -even fancy ones- grow to only what the space allows them to? Meaning if you keep them in a small tank, they will stay small. If you put them in a large tank, they'll grow large... That's what I was always told..

KatelynDeanne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
Omgsh I have always wanted a giant bubble eye goldfish. My hubby wont let me have any more pets because we know one day we will have to travel and it would be hard to do that with a fish. But once you get one, please post photos! I always liked the big bubble eye ones. :)

WhteRnbwBirdie

Hit the Road
Real Name
Erica
I had my previous (1) Fantail in a Nice 5 Gallon with a good filtration system. I don't see the problem..

@KatelynDeanne Awesome! I live with parents bc I'm wheelchair bound, though. Between our 3 Dogs and the 2 Cockatiels, IDK if I could ever talk my mother into it... but If I ever do get one, I'll be sure to post good pics! :D ~

Last edited:

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
I had my previous (1) Fantail in a Nice 5 Gallon with a good filtration system. I don't see the problem..

@KatelynDeanne Awesome! I live with parents bc I'm wheelchair bound, though. Between our 3 Dogs and the 2 Cockatiels, IDK if I could ever talk my mother into it... but If I ever do get one, I'll be sure to post good pics! :D ~
I think that you deserve a goldfish! They are so pretty! I know how you feel, I hear it every day from the husband about how we cant have any more animals until all of mine are gone to heaven. Lol! Hes a mess. I would have a whole zoo if I lived alone.

WhteRnbwBirdie

Hit the Road
Real Name
Erica
Thank you, Katelyn! Yeah, they are very lovely to look at, especially the fancy ones. @KatelynDeanne ~ but then again, the color deepness of Bettas make them really attractive. If I went with a goldfish, though, it would most likely be a bubble eye! They're like, the most eye catching goldfish, right above the fantail. I have heard that their bubbles can pop, though, so I'd have to watch out for that. Either way, it would be a single fish, & not a pair. I'd put in a 5 Gal. :)

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I think about the only thing I would keep in a 5 gal is baby fish- that's what I use mine for, raising baby fish until they're big enough to go back into the main tank (and not get eaten).

With a goldfish you'd be looking at 50 gallons for one fish, at the minimum. It's true that they only grow to the size of the tank, but their organs don't stop growing, and they will eventually die. I think of it like wearing shoes that are way too small- sure, your feet will change to fit the shoes eventually, but you'll be in pain and it won't be good, will it? A very large tank (above 50 gallons) or a pond would be much better suited.

A betta fish could work, but he would be much happier in a 10 gallon. And honestly a 10 gallon is only a couple dollars more than a 5, I would just go with that.

There's a lot more you can do in a 10 as well. I have a 10 with 3 glofish and some pygmy corydoras currently and they're very happy :) You could do a few guppies, or a shrimp tank, or even an african dwarf frog or a clawed frog. There's a lot of options in a 10 gallon, not so much with a 5.

Feather

Avenue Veteran
But don't goldfish -even fancy ones- grow to only what the space allows them to? Meaning if you keep them in a small tank, they will stay small. If you put them in a large tank, they'll grow large... That's what I was always told..
Goldfish: Myths Debunked | Details | Articles | TFH Magazine®

"Goldfish Only Grow to the Size of Their Enclosure
There is an element of truth to this, but it is not as innocent as it sounds and is related more to water quality than tank size. When properly cared for, goldfish will not stop growing. Most fishes are in fact what are known as indeterminate growers. This means that, unlike humans, they grow until they die. What really stunts a fish’s growth is poor water quality and improper care. In smaller aquariums or bowls, water quality is typically very poor. With little or no filtration and infrequent water changes, goldfish suffer. The stunting that results is not a good thing. Rather, it is a sign of ill health, and, frequently, stunted fish take on a deformed appearance and die at a young age. As already stated, some goldfish grow very large, so it is important to know what size your fish will attain before purchase and to make sure you can provide it with the proper care it requires."

It is always important to challenge and refresh the information you have. Animal husbandry changes a lot as we collectively learn more about the animals in our care. What was considered correct even a couple years ago may not always stand up to what we know today, and proper research will get you much further than believing anything you're told.

Please do not put a goldfish in a 5gal. That's cruel.

Last edited:

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
My fantail pair are in a 100 gal tank and sometimes I feel like even that's too small. Keeping goldfish of any species in a tank smaller than 40 gal is neglect, imo.

A betta may be able to survive in a 5 gallon, but a 10 gallon is the ideal mininum. A 5 gal is almost impossible to maintain proper heat, filtration and oxygenation in.

WhteRnbwBirdie

Hit the Road
Real Name
Erica
I'll get a Betta someday instead then! That should suffice for him! My local Dollar Store has lovely ones for $3.99. I'm seriously considering it, someday :D~

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Your dollar store sells bettas? :omg:
When I had bettas, I kept them in divided ten gallon tanks (2per), filter, heater, etc. Wouldn't dream of goldfish, too much space is needed.

WhteRnbwBirdie

Hit the Road
Real Name
Erica
They call it 'Dream Dollar' but I Guess it's not technically a 'Dollar Store.' You can get $1.00 items, but some things are a lot more ~ They Sell Beautiful Blue, Red, and Purple Bettas. (1 PER Single 8-10 ounce cup) for $4.00. You can buy one in a small tank (32 oz) for $15.00. They also sell baby water frogs for the same prices as the Bettas. It's pretty damn Awesome if you ask me! :D @HolliDaze

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
Thank you, Katelyn! Yeah, they are very lovely to look at, especially the fancy ones. @KatelynDeanne ~ but then again, the color deepness of Bettas make them really attractive. If I went with a goldfish, though, it would most likely be a bubble eye! They're like, the most eye catching goldfish, right above the fantail. I have heard that their bubbles can pop, though, so I'd have to watch out for that. Either way, it would be a single fish, & not a pair. I'd put in a 5 Gal. :)
sounds awesome :) Yeah I would be scared their eyes may pop too . I think the one I seen was fancy. Betas can be mean but omg so many at walmart die. I feel bad for them and wish I could rescue them all. :(

WhteRnbwBirdie

Hit the Road
Real Name
Erica
I feel like it doesn't really matter if Male Bettas are mean if you keep them alone in a tank, with no other fish to kill. Their 'I'm pissed' flair ups are really cool to look at. LOL.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Well, you can avoid the aggression in male bettas if you only keep one per tank, or if it's a big enough tank, have a good sturdy divider. I have a 10 gallon tank currently with 1 male betta, and aside from the clean-up crew of Malaysian trumpet snails (who are thriving), that's it. He's quite happy, he has lots of space to swim, lots of nice silk plants to rest on, and some flowerpots to hide behind if he feels like it.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Putting a fish in a tank that is too small for their true adult size is the akin to the of binding feet :(

Foot binding - Wikipedia

If I had a 5 gallon tank I would get a small tarantula ;)

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Ooh or even an apple snail. I loved my snails when I had my tank!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Ooh or even an apple snail. I loved my snails when I had my tank!
I think true apple snails are illegal to have, but mystery snails get pretty close, and I love them. My first betta killed the one I put in his tank. But at one point I had 22 of the big boys sliming their way around my 40 gallon breeder. Sweet slimy babies. :)