• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bubble Counter Busted :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
First of all, I'm not sure how many people on here have a planted tank with CO2 injection! But I just had to complain. :mad:

I've been dealing with black beard algae (left over infestation from before the CO2 injection) and was excited because it was finally starting to go away! One thing often recommended to me for it is to increase the co2 content in the water, so I upped my flow rate by just a little (like less than 1 bubble per second to maybe 1.5).

Well....I just had a cheap plastic bubble counter because I'm sort of a newbie to this whole planted tank business...I learned my lesson! The bubble counter completely cracked under the pressure, so right now I am operating with zero CO2 and am working with liquid dosing to at least keep my plants as green as possible (basically just java fern and an anubias). I'm super bummed, especially because now I feel like I don't know what to do to replace it! I don't want to spend a ton on a fancy one, but I also don't want to buy a new bubble counter every few months. I tried to make a homemade one with a jelly jar, and even though I drilled the holes in the lid as small as possible, I'm still getting too much leakage to actually get it to pump through my diffuser.

So...this is mostly just a rant, but if anyone has any suggestions, I wouldn't be opposed to hearing them :)

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
I'm not familiar with this stuff at all, but I'd love to learn :D

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Boing

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lori
Have you tried ebay for a bubble counter? I bought mine there a few years back and it was a very good price.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Have you tried ebay for a bubble counter? I bought mine there a few years back and it was a very good price.
Yes, that is where I got most of my co2 supplies :D I'm just debating which one to get...I'n gun shy as it were! The one I got last time was this:

$(KGrHqN,!mEE3HT2oHCMBOBG5CNp!w~~0_12.JPG

Can I ask what style you use?

Then of course i have to make the decision of buying from hong kong for half the price and get it late October, or buy one more expensive and have it next week. I'm leaning towards US seller simply because my parents will visiting me from Michigan in a couple of weeks, and I would like for them to be able to see it in its glory :D But then my cheap-o side of me thinks about the extra cost associated with that.

I'm such a complainer tonight lol.

Griffin's People

Walking the driveway
Is the tank heavily planted?? If not you could probably get by without the C02. I have planted tanks and none of mine use it. None of mine are seriously heavily planted either though.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Also since both those plants are low light, slow growing you should get by just fine.
I originally started off with a low light, no CO2 tank, which is what these plants are remnants of the old 10g tank I had set up. Now, I've upgraded my system to a 29 gallon with a nice light that gives me enough to grow higher light plants. A few bumps in the road have made that goal take a back seat, so really I just have a java fern farm right now :p My main concern is that I did have this going for a while without any CO2 injection, and that is when the Black Beard Algae took off. It's been slowly dissipating since I started injection. I just don't want to go backwards :(

I would say it is currently moderately planted.

Boing

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lori
I believe mine was JBJ bubble counter.
I sold off my aquarium equipment in order to obtain more birds!
But, I do miss taking care of all the plants that multiplied like crazy...I had more plants than fish!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I believe mine was JBJ bubble counter.
I sold off my aquarium equipment in order to obtain more birds!
But, I do miss taking care of all the plants that multiplied like crazy...I had more plants than fish!
LOL yeah I hear ya there. I definitely have more plants then fish. My tank is more plants and apple snails then anything :rolleyes: The bird is the reason adding to the tank has been put on hold!

Boing

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lori
Good luck with whatever you choose.
I do miss the peace and tranquility that my aquarium brought me.
I could sit and watch it forever.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Good luck with whatever you choose.
I do miss the peace and tranquility that my aquarium brought me.
I could sit and watch it forever.
Thanks :) Yes, it is very relaxing. They are a lot of work but I enjoy it, even if I'm in to my elbows cleaning algae off the glass :lol:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]