• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Bruised beak?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
Your new fids are quite bright & beautiful. I hope that they have a long and happy life with you. :)

Jo B.

Moving in
I did clean everything before I brought the new birds home. If purchasing a bird from a pet store considered adopting, what is? Purchasing from a private breeder? Just wondering

Kodigirl210

When a pet store says “adopt” it’s a sales gimmick. Purchasing a bird from a store, breeder, etc is simply buying a bird.

When people on the site use the term adopt it means giving a bird in need a home. This usually involves a rescue, Craigslist, etc where an adult bird (normally. Babies are rare exceptions) needs to be rehomed either due to bad living conditions or unexpected tragedies such a parront passing away unexpectedly, or someone has developed an allergy, etc. Basically a situation beyond the current owners capacity to deal with.

It’s nice to be able to do a rescue/rehome but at the same time it takes a certain amount of experience and you have to meet a rescues standards. Some are impossible to meet.

One is not less than the other though there are a lot of birds in need. And one over the other doesn’t guarantee anything.

I purchased a CAG because of where I live I know I would never qualify for a legitimate rescue group & they usually swoop up any loose CAGs. In the end I ended up with a special needs bird that had she gone to someone else, they probably would have dumped her in a heartbeat once they realized the issues. I paid for that privilege and will probably pay some more but I don’t care. I love her flaws and all. Not everyone can afford or chooses to be that philanthropic. I couldn’t imagine my life without her as many others who have rescues or special needs fids.

You do what works for you and yours.

Ps. They really are a lovely pair ;)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I purchased a CAG because of where I live I know I would never qualify for a legitimate rescue group & they usually swoop up any loose CAGs. In the end I ended up with a special needs bird that had she gone to someone else, they probably would have dumped her in a heartbeat once they realized the issues. I paid for that privilege and will probably pay some more but I don’t care. I love her flaws and all. Not everyone can afford or chooses to be that philanthropic. I couldn’t imagine my life without her as many others who have rescues or special needs fids.
I´m so glad you found her and it wasn´t someone less caring who took her home!
That same thing happened with me with Jacob.

In one of my local pet store chains, the only one I visit, the offer cat and dog adoptions, and it is true. They are all from rescue centres. Sometimes there are puppies and kittens as there are always lots being found in my city in bins and boxes, or abandoned in the middle of nowhere. But usually they are adults.
I think it is a fantastic idea and I wish more places would do this and also expand to include reptiles and birds.

Kodigirl210

Here in San Diego, the Petco chain does dog and cat adoptions. And when they used to carry rabbits those were also changed from bringing in rabbits to sell and adopting them out through the local rabbit rescue. But the budgies, hamsters, reptiles, etc are just regular purchased stock. And I agree, they should do more adoption instead of just selling. :)