• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Bruised beak?

Jo B.

Moving in
FE21A5FC-630F-42C5-998A-9A54BED14BFE.jpeg We just got our canary two days ago from a pet store. Today the tip looks black and has gone up the beak an 1/8 of an inch approximately. I think it may be bruised? I haven’t seen this before so I was wondering if anyone else has. She is eating and singing. She uses her beak to climb up the side of the cage to perch on the branch.

Last edited:

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's a budgie, not a canary. :)

If the black is spreading, it's likely an infection or trauma to the blood vessels inside of her beak, causing an internal bleed. She needs to be seen by a vet ASAP to rule out any severe damage.

Last edited:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
See avian vet asap

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are you sure it's not dye from a toy? If not then yes, go to the vet as others have said.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
That looks like it's inside the structure of the beak and spreading. Could be fungal. Get your friend to a vet.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
What was the result of your vet visit?

Davi

Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
It's honestly hard to tell from the photo what might be going on. It could be as simple as bird toy dye, as someone pointed out, but it could also be much more serious. But since you just got them anyway, a trip to the vet is a great idea, and recommended. Keep us posted please!

Jo B.

Moving in
Not knowing how serious this is, we took her back to the pet store. They were going to take her to the vet this morning. They didn’t call me so I’m going to call tomorrow.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor little budgie. Let us know what happens. Hope they do take her to the vet.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Not knowing how serious this is, we took her back to the pet store. They were going to take her to the vet this morning. They didn’t call me so I’m going to call tomorrow.
Don´t be surprised if they do the old switcheroo and the bird has miraculously healed. You won´t be able to tell which is which.

I just hope that the pet shop did the right thing, and the budgie in this photo got to see a vet!

Jo B.

Moving in
I called to check on the status. To me their answer was conflicting. I was told the beak was just dirty and in the same sentence he mentioned foreign matter. He asked if I had fed the bird broccoli. The only food I fed her was seeds. They asked if I wanted to readopt her and I passed so they said they would put her back with the other birds. So we went and adopted two parakeets from petsmart and they’re thriving and happy.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Aw, I hope she’ll be okay and find a good home. I kind of wished you took her back home because I worry what will happen to her.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Don´t be surprised if they do the old switcheroo and the bird has miraculously healed. You won´t be able to tell which is which.
To me their answer was conflicting. I was told the beak was just dirty and in the same sentence he mentioned foreign matter. He asked if I had fed the bird broccoli. The only food I fed her was seeds.
I worry what will happen to her.
I worry what has happened to her.

we went and adopted two parakeets from petsmart and they’re thriving and happy
Any pictures? :)

Kodigirl210

I would have to say they probably didn’t take her to the vet and just proclaimed it was dirt so I completely under why you didn’t take her back. Congrats on the new fids. Pic?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I called to check on the status. To me their answer was conflicting. I was told the beak was just dirty and in the same sentence he mentioned foreign matter. He asked if I had fed the bird broccoli. The only food I fed her was seeds. They asked if I wanted to readopt her and I passed so they said they would put her back with the other birds. So we went and adopted two parakeets from petsmart and they’re thriving and happy.
That is very sad. I would be curious and go over there and see what her beak looks like now. If it's still discolored then of course it is not dirty. Sad that they weren't willing to take the bird to the vet. If it is black from bruising or an infection then they shouldn't be putting the budgie back with the other birds.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I wish you had taken her back, that way they would have been forced to do something for her.