• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent "Bruised Beak" Blood in the mouth

Taylor_Echo

Moving in
Real Name
Savana
I have a cockatiel. Today after she did her usual flight around the living room she landed and her beak appeared to have a bruise on it then I noticed blood in her mouth. I put her in the cage and the bruised color went away and there was no more blood, but later that evening when she took another flight the color appeared again in her beak and she had blood in her mouth. She never crashed into anything and there doesn't appear to be any exterior damage on her beak. I'm wondering if she may have a respiratory problem? I'm taking her to vet tomorrow, but I wanted to see if anyone on here has seen something like this? She is eating and drinking as usual, seems to be in good spirits otherwise...

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I will tag a few of the members with more medical knowledge for you and see if they can offer you any help. @Macawnutz, @Hankmacaw @Birdbabe might be able to help you some.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Did she " bite her tongue "? Will she let you look at her mouth,,? Is the blood bright or dark? A vet check would be best...hope shes ok.:hug8:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Please see a avian vet.

Taylor_Echo

Moving in
Real Name
Savana
i will go check and see if she will let me look at her tongue, thank you Birdbabe, I didn't even think of that.

Taylor_Echo

Moving in
Real Name
Savana
I dont see any damage to her tongue. When the blood appeared after she flew it was bright red like fresh blood. There is no blood at this time. I'm not allowing her to fly again until after I see the vet tomorrow.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good that you don't see any blood now and that you are planning to take her to the vet tomorrow. BTW, welcome to AA and hope all will be well.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Was it actually blood as in like...dripping out of her mouth? Is it possible she was just flushed from flying and not truly bleeding?

Taylor_Echo

Moving in
Real Name
Savana
there was definitely blood in the mouth but not dripping out.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Interesting. What did she do to get rid of it? Since they don't have saliva, I'd think it would be pretty hard for her to get blood out of her mouth without like...flinging her head around or sneezing a bunch.

Taylor_Echo

Moving in
Real Name
Savana
it only starts bleeding after a flight, But after a few minutes it stops bleeding and goes away till she flys again.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
it only starts bleeding after a flight, But after a few minutes it stops bleeding and goes away till she flys again.
So is she still bleeding when she flies or has it totally stopped bleeding. If it's still bleeding there could be some type of internal injury. Don't let her fly any more tonight.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Never seen or heard of an injury like this.

I would suppose it's a wound of some sort and the increased blood pressure from flying is causing it to restart. ??? Definitely something that needs to be seen by a vet.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Thanks to @JLcribber for this explanation;
"Parrots do indeed produce saliva. They have salivary glands and a system of ducts, like other animals. The difference is in the distribution of these glands. The end of the tongue in (most) parrots is void of glands and is usually dry. The glands are located around the base of the tongue, all around, front and back. There are also glands in the soft palate in the roof of the mouth, near the back.

If the tip of the tongue, where it is usually dry is seen to be wet, there may or may not be a medical reason for it. It may just be that they are massaging the inside of their mouth with the tip of the tongue ( a natural behavior to clean the mouth) and the tip gets saliva on it then.

This cleaning behavior may become exaggerated if there is irritation or inflammation in the mouth, so it is always a good idea to investigate if the tongue seems wet a lot on the tip, or if there is also other behavior that might suggest oral irritation, such as a lot of yawning or mouth gaping or head shaking or pawing at the mouth with the toes.

Amanda does it all the time. IMO most of the time it's the parrot version of "chewing gum".

Jasper has a particularly wet mouth.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How is she doing today?