• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Brown headed parrot?

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Is there anyone here who owns one and can give some insight? Google can tell you tons of things, but personal experiences are completely different. Any input would be appreciated!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Is this the same species as the gray capped parrot?

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
African Brown headed or?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poicephalus cryptoxanthus

Very cute. Are you considering getting him/her?

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
Poicephalus cryptoxanthus

Very cute. Are you considering getting him/her?
He is up for adoption, around 10 years old. Previous owner didn't take the best care of him. He prefers females and is missing toes. I'm considering it, but I don't know much about the species

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They are supposed to be sweet and somewhat mellow especially when compared to some other Pois such as red-bellied parrots. :)
I wouldn't have any qualms getting a brown headed parrot.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
A poi & same family as red bellies, meyers & senegals. Depends how they were raised but generally not the loudest birds & they may not like other birds too much so getting along with your gang would be my biggest question.

You'd have to meet them. I think you are looking for a cuddler or one to closely bond with?
Pois are not really cuddly but like to be with there person. Most they say can be family birds
& not so much a one person bird but guess this one does not like men so that leaves out the male portion of your family.

I think they could be very nice birds but you would have to meet them & try to consider how much extra arrangments would need to be made if the loss of toes makes it hard for them to get around.

Definitely have to meet them to really make a decision.

Milestone

Sprinting down the street
I was thinking of getting a Meyers parrot which is very similar. But I read somewhere that they have a bull dog type bite. Scared me away lol. But I still might get one. They are known for being easy going and not biting much. But you can't get away without a bite with birds:laugh:. I think it's great that your thinking about getting him! :)

Last edited:

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
I'm it so much as looking for cuddly. I saw the opportunity to adopt this baby so I started doing my research before I committed. He enjoys kisses and being on your shoulder. A lot like my other two since neither are affectionate. Diego can be when she's not molting. I'm just thinking it over and wanted to get advice from the forum

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I believe that @Greycloud has posted about her experience with this species on the forum.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Aw sounds like he needs a home. I hope you go for it. Does he get around ok and do you know what happened to his toes?

Myers are sweet birds.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Brown heads are sort of rare & not sure how much they can differ from say meyers or senegals but the meyers can give a pitbull bite.
I've had a few nasty painful grinding attacks from a generally quite sweet meyers. It seems to come out of nowhere or maybe
they think you are not giving them your sole undivided attention or ignoring them & wham. Its a bite to fear. I have scars.

Meyers are not cuddy as in holding & putting them upside down but they enjoy sitting with you if they are socialized.
They can call without stopping if they want your attention.

Never had a brown but its going to share most of the species characteristics.

I really think spending some time talking with the person who owns it & the bird is the way to make the decision.
There are too many generalities & not all birds are ever alike.

See what you feel when you see & hold the bird.
Enjoying kisses & being on shoulder are nice but I would prefer they not be so close to the tender ears & face.

Greycloud donated the same poi book I have. I can see if they say anything about brown heads.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is he missing toes or toenails? Looks like just toenails to me.
Every bird is an individual and some of my red-bellies are cuddly and some are not.
Don't allow any of them on my shoulder although Sophie would be OK.

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
Just his toenails I believe. The owner surrendered him to the same rescue I adopted Diego from, so there's not much information to go on other than what Jackie can tell me. She's had him right at 1.5 years and said he's very loving towards women

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Guide to the Senegal Parrot and Its Family - Mattie Sue Athan, Dianalee Deter - Google Books
Book says red bellies & brown heads are shyer & can lean to one person birds.
Says they are the rarest of the pois. Says they lack the red eyes of the red belly and adult birds eyes are yellow. (His look brown)
Says juvenile birds eyes are brown...are you sure its not a young bird?
Upper beak grey & lower beige.
Generally they are calm well mannered birds & less likely to bite than other pois but says they are pois & can also be coyish, clownish, defensive, with a well developed flight or fight response. Says the few brown heads they met were the most predictable of the pois.

https://journals.tdl.org/watchbird/index.php/watchbird/article/viewFile/1576/1553

Old article but says wild caught birds are trapped in sticky lime & many of them are missing toes???

All the generalities are meaningless. What matters is how the bird was treated & socialized. Every bird even clutchmates can be different.

Looks like most of the toes are there so he should really have no problem getting around.
Guess a platform perch would be advised though as the grip might not be as good on one foot & give the bird a place to rest.

You really have alot to think about...has the bird seen a vet?

They are rare though & if you really feel for the bird then meet him.

Just be aware he might need to be out separately or carefully watched he may not like other birds around.

Brown Headed Parrots from Avalon Aviary

Last edited:

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I wouldn't say that they are particularly rarer than any of the other Pois, Rueppels are far harder to come by, but considering that they aren't as "flashy" as other Pois, they tend to be overlooked.

With that said, I don't think you can go wrong with one.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
His picture is beautiful...... and the look in his eyes... it's like "hi there! I'm adorable"

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you checked into the brown headed more and do you think you will be getting him?

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
Have you checked into the brown headed more and do you think you will be getting him?
We said we would talk towards the end of this week, but I am so swamped at work right now preparing for tax season that he got pushed to the back of my mind :(