• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bronzed feathers

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Jasper weighs 1100 gm and she gets .3ML/day and since her Dr. prefers Flax oil I give her .3 ml of that per day too. Even when she is really sick for months her feathers are beautiful. .3ml is about 6 drops.

That's about the amount I give my other macaws. Rosie was .5ml per the vet for years. I'm not much of a measurer these days but I do give the BG less as if I miss a day it's ugly. LOL

Alan J.

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Alan Jardine
Many thanks Sarah, Mary Lynn, Clueless and Shezbug. What is RPO?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I think they're talking about red palm oil but they should answer shortly.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
RPO is Red Palm oil and does miracles for father conditioning, but it's greatest benefit is for the heart. Here is a good article about RPO. It RPO comes from Africa.

SUNSHINE FACTOR – Here are the facts

Thursday, October 10th, 2013

We feel it’s a good idea to go over the cover these bases from time to time as they are common questions regarding Palm Fruit Oil.

CLAIM 1: Sunshine Factor is simple palm oil.
FACT-CHECK: Incorrect.
Sunshine Factor is made from red palm FRUIT oil. There is a very significant difference, and there are many commercially available sources of simple palm oil, but few of red palm fruit oil.
Palm fruit oil is a cholesterol-free member of the vegetable oilfamily. It has been erroneously grouped together with coconut oil and palm kernel oil under the “tropical oil family,” which are known as high-cholesterol or trans-fat oils. Palm fruit oil is one of the most nutritionally filled vegetable oils currently on the market.
Red palm fruit oil originates from the flesh of the fruit from the palm tree Elaeis guineensis. This oil is not hydrogenated or processed and contains no trans-fats. It has a dark orange to red color.
Palm fruit oil is naturally semi-solid at room temperature and does not require hydrogenation. It is an excellent replacement for partially hydrogenated fats for many reasons. Like other edible fats and oils, palm fruit oil is easily digested, absorbed and used to maintain a healthy metabolism.
http://www.trustedpartner.com/docs/library/000087/RedPalmOilweb.pdf

CLAIM 2: Use of Sunshine Factor results in high LDL cholesterol, clogs arteries, causes heart disease due to high levels of saturated fats and varying other negative claims.
In human studies, the general properties of red palm fruit oil include the following: decreased incidence of arteriosclerosis, lowered blood cholesterol, decreased occurrence of blood clots by increasing vasodilatation, lowered incidence of strokes and heart attacks and improved immune function. Red palm fruit oil has also been reported as a “chemopreventative drug,” because it has been shown to inhibit the growth of breast cancer cells and improve the effectiveness of tamoxifen therapy.

Red palm fruit oil is considered to be one of the richest natural sources of carotenoids. The benefits of carotenoids in humans include their antioxidant and anticancer effects. These antioxidants scavenge free radicals. The accumulation of free radicals in human medicine has been associated with heart disease, cellular aging, cancer, arthritis and Alzheimer’s disease. Carotenoids are needed for the growth and repair of body tissues, the formation of bones and teeth, the resistance to infection, the development of healthy eye tissues and proper cellular function and differentiation. Red palm fruit oil contains beta-carotene, alpha-carotene, lycopene and phytoene. Beta-carotene can be converted to vitamin A as required by the body. Alpha-carotene may also be converted to vitamin A and has been found in human medicine to be superior in the inhibition of some forms of cancer in cell-culture studies.

Red palm fruit oil is rich in multiple forms of vitamin E. Although it is often assumed that there is only one type of vitamin E, there are actually eight different forms. These include four tocopherols (alpha, beta, gamma, delta) and four tocotrienols (alpha, beta, gamma, delta). Most diets only contain alpha-tocopherol; however, the tocotrienols are considered to be far superior in their antioxidant effects. The general properties of the tocopherols and tocotrienols in human medicine include the following: inhibit the enzyme that controls the rate of cholesterol synthesis, decrease LDL and triglycerides, raise HDL, increase immune function, have anticancerogenic properties, lower risk of cataract formation and modulate the formation of prostaglandins controlling a component of the inflammatory cascade. Palm fruit oils are the richest natural source of antioxidants, such as tocotrienols, which may exhibit activity against tumor promotion and, in turn, inhibit certain types of cancer. Tocotrienols may also have the ability to reverse blockage of the carotid artery and platelet aggregation, which reduces the risk of stroke, arteriosclerosis and heart disease.

In one human study, 31 subjects took a palm fruit oil supplement every day for 30 days. No other changes were made to their diets. They continued to eat whatever they desired. The results showed that palm fruit oil supplementation lowered both total cholesterol and LDL (bad) cholesterol in all volunteers. The magnitude of reduction of total cholesterol ranged from 5 to 35.9 percent and the reduction of LDL cholesterol ranged from 0.9 to 37 percent. What was even more important was the effect the palm fruit oil had on the cholesterol ratio. The cholesterol ratio was reduced in 78 percent of the subjects, demonstrating a highly significant and favorable response to supplementation (Tan, 1991).

CLAIM 3: Sunshine Factor is associated with deforestation and the devastating loss of natural orangutan environments in Malaysia and other areas in the South Pacific.
Sunshine Factor is made using Brazilian farmed red palm fruit oil. Sunshine Factor is a sustainable agricultural product grown on long established farms. It is not harvested from tropical rainforests in locations where burning for new plantations continues to add to the destruction of tropical rainforests and threaten endangered wildlife. Our farms are members of the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO).

Changes of note seen in usage of Sunshine Factor in birds, reptiles, dogs, cats, and other small mammals.
– Improvement in coats/plumage
– Improvement in skin quality
– Increased and more consistent energy levels particularly in senior patients
– Decreased usage of arthritis medications
– Lowered blood cholesterol levels
– Improved weight gain and health in pediatric patients
– Increased the effectiveness of antihistamines for allergy patients

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Black feathers before after bath..

Before
20190110_164825.jpg
20190111_092214.jpg

After bath

20190111_182233.jpg

And because he is the cutest bird in the whole world....
20190111_092401.jpg 20190111_092419.jpg

It's okay bird... just chew on me..

20190111_092425.jpg

Alan J.

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Alan Jardine
Thanks Mary Lynn. It was only after I posted that it struck me - red palm oil. I sourced a few bottles just after Alex and I got together, but have since then, not been able to find any. Although in honesty, it has been a good six months since I last tried. Will start looking around again.

What a difference between the "before" and "after" photos Sarah and what beautiful pics of "the cutest bird in the whole world". I think that Alex was punished with water before we got together, because he was terribly afraid of hose pipes, spray bottles and water in general. We slowly sorted his fears out though and he now enjoys showers, but only when he decides the time is right.

Thanks Clueless.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Beautiful....

Alan J.

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Alan Jardine
I checked on both sites that you sent me Mary Lynn and unfortunately, both say they do not ship to South Africa. This comes up all the time when I am sourcing the oil.

I have an old friend, who I have not had contact with for years, who began the "Avi -product" company, producing bird food and supplements mainly, but who subsequently sold the company after his wife passed away from cancer. I don't recall them ever offering red palm oil, but he may know where I can source it. I will contact him in the new week.