• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Broken Toe?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Please update us on your bird. Thanks

EarthToEcho

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Medoh
If you haven't using time on creating this thread that appointment could already been made.

If it's broken your bird needs to see an avian vet ASAP so of course you can't leave him.
And don't wait! That needs to be fixed now and not tomorrow.

So what are you waiting for?
It’s not that I haven’t made an appointment, and this thread wasn’t created to be instead of a vet appointmet, I just wanted suggestions to make him more comfortable. The earliest appointment I could get is next week. If I could’ve, I would’ve had him at the vet the second after I noticed his injury, but it doesn’t work like that

EarthToEcho

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Medoh
Please update us on your bird. Thanks
Vet appointment is for next week, though they’re going to call me if they get an opening for sooner.
Other than his limping, his acting like normal! Eating well, drinking well, and still active. Poops are good too. He’s just woken up for the day and is preening currently. He has a little trouble getting around his cage, but not too much

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Are you able to swap out perches for flatter ones? When Rupert had wounds on his feet, I kept only platforms and thick rope perches. I also created a false bottom in his cage to limit him from being able to hurt himself. I think I have a picture of it still.

Do you have a travel cage? Absolutely do NOT leave him to fend for himself. Birds will go downhill faster than most animals. Be prepared to take him with you. Bring supplies as well.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie

I moved all of his perches to be more accessible. The false bottom is made of a large piece of cardboard. I poked one hole in each corner and used zip ties to anchor it in to position. Paper towel goes on top. After about a week, he did chew the cardboard...but it helped restrict his movement and he was able to sit on the bottom when he got tired of perching.

EarthToEcho

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Medoh
Just wanted to update everyone since you all were so helpful! The new vet I went to was AMAZING. I really love them and will be taking Medoh there from now on! It turns out his foot was slightly dislocated. I was informed this couldve been cause by an improper band size (if he had managed to get his foot stuck) so he is now a naked bird with no band! I got him microchipped, so I would always have a way to say that he's mine, and he took it like a champ! He's already using his foot a lot more and is in a great mood!
Again thank you all for your help!!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for the update. Great that you had an excellent experience with the vet and that Medoh is doing better.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Wonderful update!

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Great news, he'll keep using it more as it stops hurting and he realizes it works again. Like I said Beeper kept her foot balled up while it hurt her and when it was starting to heal and not hurt as much she started using it to scratch and hop around till she adapted to the issues with it and did as she pleased with both feet.