1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  2. This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Broken Toe?

Discussion in 'Bird Emergency Highway 911' started by EarthToEcho, 10/31/17.

1. EarthToEcho

EarthToEcho Strolling the yard

Medoh
    So my conure isn’t using one of his toes to grab and it’s just sticking out straight. He doesn’t care if I touch or move it but he does favor it a bit.
    Any suggestions as to what is wrong?

2. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

It could be arthritis, infection, injured, ??? It could be something very temporary that will get better on its own or something that will need medical intervention. Difficult for us to make a diagnosis. Consider taking your conure to the vet to check on that.

3. EarthToEcho

Medoh
    I plan on taking him soon if it doesnt get better. It's not arthritis, or an infection. I'm assuming injured, but like I said, he favors it, but doesn't care if i touch it. I'll try to get a picture when I can. but at the moment he's sleeping and I don't wanna wake him up

4. saroj12

saroj12 Ripping up the road Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Santa Coco ROCKS the SOCKS I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you? I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

saroj
    Sometimes soon is too late. What stops you from going to the vet tomorrow?

Eloy, MiniMacaw and Lady Jane like this.
  5. EarthToEcho

Medoh
    I have to make an appointment for the first thing, as well as the fact that I don't drive.

iamwhoiam, Sarahmoluccan and saroj12 like this.
  6. Fritzgerald16

Fritzgerald16 Jogging around the block

Jenelle
    So I know in reptiles they can get a vitamin deficiency that causes their toes to stick out, does anyone know if that can happen in birds? Also could it be a cramp? Can you bend it?
    If it isn't better in the morning I would take him in to be safe. Über is the bomb for getting a ride :)

7. EarthToEcho

Medoh
    Ubers are pretty hard to get around here, but I'll try it! And it could be a cramp maybe? I posted a (shizzty) video on my instagram if you want to see it (it should be up in a second) Vah Medoh (@divinebeastvahmedoh) • Instagram photos and videos . I can bend it, and hes still walking around, hes just limping

8. saroj12

saroj12 Ripping up the road Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Santa Coco ROCKS the SOCKS I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you? I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

saroj
    Oh sorry. I’m spoiled. I’ve been going to this vet for fifteen years and if she’s in, the girls at the front desk fit me in between appointments. If it’s an emergency she sees me right away. Hope you get an appt. soon.

9. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
    What kind of perches is your bird using? Pedicure perches can cause injuries and skin problems. What is the diet like? Can you post a photo?

10. EarthToEcho

Medoh
    He's got several different perches, some wood, and one pedicure perch but he hardly ever stands on it. Vah Medoh (@divinebeastvahmedoh) • Instagram photos and videos has a video of him walking around. He eats Zupreem pellets for his diet (wont eat fruit or veggies). Dont think his diet has anything to do with it though, I think he just injured his foot

Lady Jane likes this.
  11. Fritzgerald16

Fritzgerald16 Jogging around the block

Jenelle
    It actually looks like it is stuck in a curled position. He looks fine and running around in the video from 3 hours ago and is peeved with you for trying to look at his tootsies!

Hankmacaw likes this.
  12. EarthToEcho

Medoh
    SO should I not be worried? At least for tonight I mean? It’s just cramped or something?

13. Dartman

Dartman Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Santa Coco ROCKS the SOCKS

Terry
    The house finch we rescued and raised had several toes like that due to being bitten on the foot by my Pionus before I realized they could no longer be around each other safely. For her the tendons tightened up and if I messaged and straightened her toes she could use and move them but they kept curling back up and she hated being grabbed and adapted fine. I'd say your guy cuaght his toe or something happened as it looks kinda locked and sorta painful. If it gets better shortly great but I'd take him in either way. If nothing else they can tell you what might have happened and give pain meds if needed. Beepers foot really bothered her till it healed and I knew nothing about safe bird pain meds back then.

saroj12 likes this.
  14. Peachfaced

Peachfaced Rollerblading along the road Avenue Veteran I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you?

Sadie
    I would take him in. That is not a natural position; it looks like he's having trouble moving it.

saroj12 and Sarahmoluccan like this.
  15. Sarahmoluccan

Sarahmoluccan Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you? I Can't Stop Posting!

Sarah
    Yeah I would take him in too. But I wouldn't worry too much if you can't get him right away. I know how annoying it is not to drive especially when you need to go to the vets. Just get him in as soon as you can :)

16. EarthToEcho

Medoh
    I'll definitely be taking him, since hes still limping pretty bad today. He's eating and drinking like normal, and still moving around alot though

17. Dartman

Dartman Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Santa Coco ROCKS the SOCKS

Terry
    Well lets hope it's something not serious that will come around easily with a little help and time. I kinda think in Beepers case if I had been able to keep working on her toes they might have gotten much straighter and workable with time but it wasn't worth stressing her out once they stopped hurting and she adapted.

saroj12 likes this.
  18. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

Good that you decided to take him to the vet. Hope things will be OK and that the foot issue will be resolved.

saroj12 likes this.
  19. EarthToEcho

Medoh
    My dad decided on a spontaneous trip to see my grandparents and is insisting I go, even though I’ve told him about Medoh.
    I’m terrified of leaving him and don’t want to, but it seems like I may have no choice.
    What can I do??

20. Eloy

Eloy Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Shutterbugs' Best

J.T
    If you haven't using time on creating this thread that appointment could already been made.
    If it's broken your bird needs to see an avian vet ASAP so of course you can't leave him.
    And don't wait! That needs to be fixed now and not tomorrow.
    So what are you waiting for?

Tags:

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)