• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Broken toe advice

CrazyCakes

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
One of my rescues is a Parakeet, yesterday while changing food and water, the GCC got out and (I am assuming because I didn't actually see it take place) bit the parakeets toe through the cage. It looks broken. It was bleeding pretty bad. I applied the powder that stops bleeding to it, bleeding has stopped. My vet is giving me an ointment for the toe as well as an antibiotic and pain relief meds. Unfortunately I cant get the bird physically seen until Saturday. Does anyone have advice on how to maybe wrap it or splint it. I really dont want the bird to loose its toe as it already has a missing toe on the same foot from when it was found. Being so small I just need advice on how I should try to splint it, or would you just leave it alone? I feel so bad for the little chicken as it has already been through so much b4 he got to me :( As for as behavior he is still chirping, eating, and drinking..just looks like hes in pain and is keeping it up and standing on the other foot. So basically I just need advice on how I can try to wrap such a teeny tiny toe or what to do in this situation because I cant be seen any sooner.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Can the vet give you advice on what to do for it until you can see him?

Pockets

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Definitely ask the vet. Not knowing how the toe is broken, I definitely can’t suggest you tape it. Sometimes introducing a new material like a bandage can cause the bird additional stress and discomfort as they may try to chew on or pull the foreign material.

A couple of years ago, our parakeet - Pockets - had an incident with one of his toes, and the vet tech bandaged his whole foot quite heavily. In an effort to remove the bandage, he ripped off the tip of a toenail (which has since grown back, thankfully) and he removed all of the skin on his leg at the edge of the wrapping. It was a bloody disaster, literally - on top of his already injured toe. His best healing occurred after bandage removal.

What I mean to say is: if your vet advises bandaging the toe - do what they say - and watch carefully for any behaviors that can worsen the injury.

Hope your lil friend feels better soon!