• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Broken Quail Leg - Experienced chicken and quail owners advice please!

abbby

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi everyone!
We have just been given a little king quail by the name of "Goose" that has a very broken leg. It was broken when the flight cage he was living in was being cleaned and his leg became stuck in the wire. That was 5 days ago and since then he has been hopping around his cage on one leg. He does well to get around, he is eating and drinking fine and now has a little fleece nest that he sleeps in.
Has anyone had any experience with splinting quail or chicken legs before? It worries me that it is broken so far up his leg as they are normally broken between the ankle and 'knee'. I was planning on using a miniature paddlepop stick to create a splint and wrap it with some vet wrap. Should I skip this all together and get him to a vet?
I have tried to attach photos. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
IMG_4871.JPG IMG_4874.JPG

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Should I skip this all together and get him to a vet?

Unless you are a vet, that is the recommended course of action. You should "not" have waited 5 days. Injuries like that need to be treated and set immediately in order to heal "properly".

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Please take him to the vet and let us know how it goes! Thanks for taking him in and getting him proper care.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you. We were given him not even 24 hours ago. His previous owners did not take him to the vet. But thank you for your response.
Regardless, he's yours now, so you can do the right thing where they didn't! :) Definitely vet.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Get him in and the vet will either split the leg straight out or splint the leg to the body in a " figure 8 " bandage . Either will be on for about 6 to 8 weeks, the vet will probably give him a pain med/ anti-inflammatory med also. Hope he's OK!

Georgelockem

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
George
Hi everyone!
We have just been given a little king quail by the name of "Goose" that has a very broken leg. It was broken when the flight cage he was living in was being cleaned and his leg became stuck in the wire. That was 5 days ago and since then he has been hopping around his cage on one leg. He does well to get around, he is eating and drinking fine and now has a little fleece nest that he sleeps in.
Has anyone had any experience with splinting quail or chicken legs before? It worries me that it is broken so far up his leg as they are normally broken between the ankle and 'knee'. I was planning on using a miniature paddlepop stick to create a splint and wrap it with some vet wrap. Should I skip this all together and get him to a vet?
I have tried to attach photos. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
View attachment 226056 View attachment 226057
Can you split the broken leg

Fritzgerald16

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
@abbby it is overwhelming taking in an injured animal, you are doing great!! Hopefully you have a bird vet near by, otherwise try calling a farm vet. My horse vet bandaged up one of my chickens after the neighbors dog got out and found them:meh:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
please take him to avian vet if possible. this is something that if you have no idea what you are doing, you could be doing more harm then good.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
This thread is over six months old guys. ;)

It just had a new poster.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
ok never mind

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran