• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Broken leg

Jewells

Moving in
My female budgie named Duck unfortunately broke her leg two days ago. I’m not sure how but I discovered it when she fell from her hoop. She either fell because it was already broken or broke it when she fell. I moved her to a seperate smaller cage with a low perch and a blanket. She stayed mostly on the perch but I noticed that she couldn’t move her left foot at all. Visibly it looked fine (no blood and no bruising) but I sat her on a flat surface and her toes curled which is a bad sign. The only avian vet near us said they had no appointments and an emergency would cost us about $200 and based on there reviews they didn’t care about the birds but just the money. We called the vet near are house and luckily they said we could bring her in the same day. This vet usually deals with cats and dogs and doesn’t have much experience with birds especially smaller ones. Duck was given anesthesia and had xrays done that showed she had a clean break. The vet said they would splint her but in hopes that after 2 weeks she would have her feeling back. If she didn’t they may have to amputate it. They were also having trouble putting the splint on in the right place and said she may have a bow leg once it heals. In the mean time I have put her next to her cagemate so they can see each other and we were given medication for the pain which she gets every 12 hours.

I was hoping someone could give me advice or have experience with a similar situation. What are the possibilities of her getting her feeling back? How well does a bird do with one leg?

24B33D2B-8065-4589-9727-892CE51466ED.jpeg
0E4C7E4A-8A66-47C9-8955-0DFE2E1CE30C.jpeg
(I took the millet spray out after I was sure she was eating fine)
2E6EE0DF-6AD8-4C80-B3C8-3B5CC2A227D2.jpeg

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that Duck got injured. My sparrow has two broken legs that never healed correctly and only one foot is sort of functional. Never had to have anything amputated since nothing was infected. He pulls himself around and everything is easily accessible for him. He can not perch. Hopefully Duck's leg will heal. Does she have any platforms? Easier for her to sit/perch on those than the dowel. Can you wrap the dowel with vet wrap? That might be more comfortable for her and easier to grip. A bird can definitely function with one leg. @Brittany0208
BTW, if the vet recommendations amputation I would get a second opinion if I were you. In fact you may want to consult with an avian vet before the 2 weeks are up. Maybe there is another avian vet or at least a vet who has lots of experience with birds in your area. You can check here or maybe if you tell us your approximate location someone here might have a recommendation. Association of Avian Veterinarians
Sending positive thoughts that Duck the bone will mend and all will be well with Duck.

Jewells

Moving in
Sorry that Duck got injured. My sparrow has two broken legs that never healed correctly and only one foot is sort of functional. Never had to have anything amputated since nothing was infected. He pulls himself around and everything is easily accessible for him. He can not perch. Hopefully Duck's leg will heal. Does she have any platforms? Easier for her to sit/perch on those than the dowel. Can you wrap the dowel with vet wrap? That might be more comfortable for her and easier to grip. A bird can definitely function with one leg. @Brittany0208
BTW, if the vet recommendations amputation I would get a second opinion if I were you. In fact you may want to consult with an avian vet before the 2 weeks are up. Maybe there is another avian vet or at least a vet who has lots of experience with birds in your area. You can check here or maybe if you tell us your approximate location someone here might have a recommendation. Association of Avian Veterinarians
Sending positive thoughts that Duck the bone will mend and all will be well with Duck.
My mom and I are going to buy a little shelf for her to rest on soon. The wrap is a great idea! We even have some and I will definitely be wrapping some of it in the morning. When we called the avian vet they also said the “the women retired at the only other avian vet around here” but we may consider taking the drive and cost for an exotic vet if all doesn’t go well. Thank you for your reply!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh poor Duck. She is cute even with that huge cast on her tiny leg :) I think I would certainly want a second opinion if they say amputation is the next step. I hope she recovers well and does get the feeling and movement back.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She's adorable! It is very possible for a bird to live a long and happy life with one leg. I have a one-legged Vasa which is about the size of a large African Grey, and even though it's been tricky on my end to learn how to accommodate his needs, AA has made a world of difference for both of us.
I have no idea how he's lived without his leg before I got him, but he lived in an aviary and spent most of his time hanging on the bars. When I took him to the vet recently, the vet looked at his stump and said it was amputated shorter than protocol but there must've been a reason for it. His stump doesn't reach the floor so he's always leaning.
If there's anything specific you want to know, I'd be happy to help.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I hope duck is doing well. :)