• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Broken leg?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm so sad today. My outside dove that I feed and that are almost tame come to me today with a leg like this. The other dove is missing and I do hope that they are breeding, but I think it's to early so I'm expecting the worst. :(

But what to do for this dove? It is eating and moving fine, but that foot doesn't seem normal at all.
I can't get it to an vet, they will kill it, and we are not allowed to treat wild birds in Sweden.
Can someone see gender?

@Birdbabe

Go to YouTube and watch it in HD and full screen.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
It looks fairly swollen to me but I don't think it would be walking or standing on it if the leg were broken maybe the foot or the toes ...so the vet wont help it ...that's to bad cuz I don't think it would take to much to look after it ... :(

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Oh no :sad5: , could you hide it in your house for awhile till its foot gets better, or say its a pet dove to the vet, so they won't kill it .

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Foot looks mangled like it got caught in something, the leg moves so it's doubtful it's broken. Unless you can catch it, which is nearly impossible if it can fly, then all you can do is watch it and keep feeding so it has nourishment to help heal. Poor baby, hope it heals quickly, they can still get along with a bad foot.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
then all you can do is watch it and keep feeding so it has nourishment to help heal.
I gave it extra protein food today. And Eggfood that contains vitamins. Tomorrow I will give it some extra hemp seed.
Poor baby, hope it heals quickly, they can still get along with a bad foot.
I think it manage really good now too, but I know they are hiding the pain, and that sure seems to hurt a lot. :(
Have you tried to catch it ? sometimes doves are gentle even if wild.:xflove:
The only thing I can do is to allowed it indoors, I'm pretty sure that after a while the dove will get in if their was food. (and it's not afraid of me)
BUT!! We have the bird flu in Sweden at the moment, so for my parrots safety I can not do that.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
All it seems you can do for now is continue to offer the dove food outdoors. Thanks for doing that. Hope that all will be well with it and that the other dove comes back.
So in Sweden if you find a wild bird and bring it to the vet it won't be helped and will just be put down? In the USA it's illegal to keep wild native birds but it's OK to keep non-native birds such as house sparrows.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
So in Sweden if you find a wild bird and bring it to the vet it won't be helped and will just be put down?
Yes, sad but true. If it's a rare or/and protected bird they will bring it to a bird Sanctuary where professional people can help the bird. But a dove will not get help. :(

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
My best suggestion, since it appears that your (single) dove has a hurt foot but can walk would be to put food and water out for it and watch for it whenever it comes to your home to feed. Even if his/her mate is dead (I think they are monogamous) if she at least has a reliable food source she will hopefully heal as best she can without treatment. I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers (though I am not a very religious person). :sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Can you see if there is something wrapped around the foot that may cause a limp?

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope the little dove will be okay, and thank you so much for helping her!

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I agree that I don't think she would be walking on it if it were broken. Hopefully it will heal ok. I see the odd seagull here missing a foot or leg and they seem to do ok. Thanks for taking care of her the best you can, my friend! :hug8::heart:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I was rewatching the video and it looks like her leg seems to be okay but her toes are folded under as if dislocated but she is still walking on that leg. I think that you're doing the best you can considering the circumstances. Baby her from a distance. :sadhug2::sadhug2: Around here most vets will not treat wild birds - the only one I know of for sure is Dr. Sakas (who saw Petri) and maybe Dr. Scott.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I think her foots broken or sprained. When Beepers foot was broken by Nerd she tried not to use it, kept it tucked in, and hobbled on it when she was forced to use it. Her foot was bloody though after the bite Nerd gave her and once it healed she used it except the tendons were damaged and the toes kept balling up. I tried holding her when I could and uncurling the toes which helped but eventually they would tighten up again and she just adapted like it never happened and it didn't appear to hurt anymore.
Just feed her and give her a safe place to rest and hide and see how she does.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Glad the other bird is back!

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue