• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Broken leg advice

MrPickles

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
chris
As I was cleaning out Mr Pickles cage this morning and replacing the perches, he fluttered out and got picked up by my beagle. Luckily he survived and has a broken leg. We are trying to keep him calm for the next day or so. the vet suggested towels at bottom of cage which we did. I just covered the cage like night hoping he can rest unbothered for a few hours after our stressful morning... any suggestions?

Peppo

Sprinting down the street
I would just do what the vet instructed and give extra kisses.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Poor baby. Wishes for a speedy recovery.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I hope he is not in pain. A tough lesson learned.

slinky-kitty

Sprinting down the street
Oh dear! Does the vet think it will heal ok? He looks fluffed up. I hope he is ok and not a bad sign. I too hope hes not in pain. Can he be given anything for pain? Please keep us posted. Warm hearted healing thoughts to Mr. Pickles. Sorry I have no advice.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor little guy. :( I second the pain meds for sure.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You can place food and water bowls on the bottom of the cage. Lower perches and, if he doesn't have one, get him a platform perch. So sorry about his injury. Hope he heals quickly.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am glad that he seems to be in less pain.

MrPickles

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
chris
now we are trying to keep him from multilating the cone... but better the cone than the leg

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Did the vet give you any Metacam for the pain? Keep an eye on the leg and foot for swelling or discoloration. Hell be cage bound for about 6 weeks.Make sure he eats .Sending scritches and prayers.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I thought Metacam was for inflammation not pain, but I could be wrong.

lexalayne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
My B&G has an old healed broken leg injury when I got him. The only noticeable difference from his injury was when he walked on a flat surface and that leg would bend over but he was as fast as any other macaw and it didn't seem to bother him at all. He was great at perching and climbing too. I'm hoping your baby isn't in too much pain and hoping for a fast recovery too.

MrPickles

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
chris
Just a little update... Mr pickles is starting to return to his old self. so i can tell he is feeling a bit better. stil NOT HAPPY with the cone. (which is necessary because he keeps trying to tear the bandage off the leg...) WE have gone through 2 make shift cones from the vet (which he had off within a short amount of time, and we had to keep fixing!) and finally ordered an actual cone. That lasted almost 4 days he managed to work that over his head on friday. we got it back on before he was able to tear the bandages to quickly. He spent a few days with me last week at work so I could insure houdini didnt break out of his cone! (Thankfully my boss would rather have me in the office supervising my staff than at home so she lets him sit in my office :D) Thinking he may be spending a few days with me again this week.. We do have an extra cone waiting here on standby :D... but he is finally starting to chirp a bit again! eating up a storm :D Thanks for all the support!

parrotluv

Avenue Veteran
How is Mr Pickles doing? We just recently went through the same thing with one of our baby Quakers that needed a bandaging and cone for 3 weeks. The vet made a homemade collar with cone combo which lasted to the last day when she finally got out of the bandages but not the cone. She is healed with a very l
Slight limp but seems not wanting to fly. I think it may hurt a bit when landing.

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
I have a macaw who had a broken leg about 5 years ago. His previous owner didn't do any therapy for it and now he has arthritis in that ankle joint. Make sure once it's healed that he uses it!

parrotluv

Avenue Veteran
Warm water therapy helps too, relaxes the muscles. Just towel them and run the warm water for abou two to three minutes while moving the leg a bit to help loosen it up.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
They used very warm/hot towels when they were doing therapy on my broken arm, felt great and did help loosen it up.