• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Broken Hearted

Drewa

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Freya Marshall
I am hoping to get my first budgie/budgies in the next week and have bought a biggish cage, lots of toys, perches etc. and done a lot of research on-line so I as prepared as I can be. A friend of mine said she knew someone who had an aviary who might be helpful to meet and give me advice.

I went round this afternoon and whilst the woman was very kind and friendly I was a bit shocked by the conditions the birds are being kept in. I should explain that the woman's husband used to breed and show budgies so they were never really pets per se. He died suddenly 18 months ago and she has just kept the birds but not breeding or showing them. She doesn't mean to be unkind but she knows no better.

She has 18 hens in one cage and 40 cocks in another and neither cage has anything but dowel perches, water bottles and food bowls - no toys or enhancing material. They are all housed in a garage so cannot see the outside world. Two budgies were in individual cages, one (temporarily) because he wasn't well and the other because he had been born disabled - no feathers on his stomach and no wings. He can't live with the others as they will attack and kill him.

I, rightly or wrongly, feel it would have been best if he had died shortly after birth, but as they kept him alive he now lives in a small cage with nothing except two dowel perches, too far apart for him to hop from one to another, All he can do is walk up up and down one perch. He is 18 months old and will live in this way for the rest of his life. I couldn't help but suggest he could have some toys and she did say she would buy him one. Looking at this small helpless creature in such lamentable conditions broke my heart. It took all my strength not to walk out with him and bring him home for a better life. Could he survive coming from those conditions to somewhere he'll have everything a budgie could want or need or would it be too much of a shock for him?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Kindly recommend she join AA to further education on how to manage so many birds or to re home some of them. She could easily get into or already is in a hoarding situation. If conditions do not improve I would report her to authorities for the birds sake. That is way too many birds for one person to handle.

Drewa

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Freya Marshall
Kindly recommend she join AA to further education on how to manage so many birds or to re home some of them. She could easily get into or already is in a hoarding situation. If conditions do not improve I would report her to authorities for the birds sake. That is way too many birds for one person to handle.
I totally agree with you but I am a complete novice so feel I am in no position to criticize he, let alone report her. The person who told me about her is a chiropodist (who I am sure has never even seen the birds) and we are both clients of hers so that could lead to further awkwardness. I don't think she's a "hoarder" as at least she no longer breeds them and slowly they are dying off (probably prematurally given the conditions) and not being replaced, but she sees them as some sort of memorial to her late husband. His daughter comes round once a week to help them clean out the cages.

As well as reading I have been watching so many birds on YouTube who are excellently managed, cared for and happy so the contrast was quite stark. I know for instance that pedigree dogs who, whilst being well cared for physically, often have a different sort of life to a pet and I wondered if it might be the same for birds? Nothing in this woman's demeanour indicated that she knew she was not treating the birds properly and she would not be able to join AA as she is not on the internet. Apart from what I first described the whole place filled me with sadness. There were lots of empty unused cages with what I took to be dust handing off the wires and lots of rosettes on the wall, equally covered in dust. I am pretty sure that none of the birds has ever had the chance to bathe.

I think the rehoming idea would be for the best and I think she might agree to that. I will see if I can speak to some organisation here in Britain about it. As it is now, I still can't get the sight of that little damaged bird out of my head. Thank you so much for answering.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue.

I'll offer an opinion on the "disabled" budgie...please give him a good home. Where he is now, he probably won't live very much longer....you can offer him comfort...and love...and good care.

Please give him a chance...

Drewa

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Freya Marshall
Bob - thanks for your simple and direct message which spoke to my heart. Nothing I could do would be anywhere near as awful as his current "existence".

I managed, thanks to google, to find a really genuine, caring guy in the UK who was happy to talk to me. This is his website - Parrot Rescue Centre | England | Birdman Parrot Rescue He runs a "forever" home to any bird that comes to him. He is not keen on breeders or the way they breed birds and thinks that this little bird is probably the result of inbreeding. I would have thought a breeder would have not allowed him to survive as he is of no value financially but maybe he was born just after he died.

I still can't get the little chap out of my head and the birdman agreed that whatever improved quality of life I could give him would be worth trying. I have been waiting all day for the cage I've ordered to come but it hasn't. It is pretty big as it was chosen for the two birds I planned to have but I also have a smaller cage which someone gave me which would be perfectly adequate for a single bird who can't fly. I assume it wouldn't be wise to give him a companion, though one of the few reservations I have about taking him from that environment is that he has been used to the noise and sight of all the other budgies round him. Maybe I could just play some of the many 3 -10 hr tapes of "budgie noise" I've seen on YouTube?

Anyway, I'm going to sleep on it another night (it's 10pm here in the UK) and will probably phone the woman about taking him tomorrow. I think she will let him go as she appears to be overwhelmed by it all and only wants to do her best by them but really has no idea what she should do. I get the impression that it was her step-daughter who talked her into keeping them when her Dad died but she only comes once a week. If things go well tomorrow I might suggest she looks into rehoming the majority of the others and keep just a few favourites.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Born with no wings?! Serious inbreeding going on, get that little baby..he could live on the floor like my blind, one winged tiel..who is happy as can be, my teil was not supposed to live over a year,,,hes 15 now.

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Welcome to the board Freya

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. Thank you for being willing to take the little budgie into your home and care for and love him.

Drewa

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Freya Marshall
Well that's a definite "no" I'm sorry to say. Just been speaking to the woman and when I asked about the little one she was adamant that she couldn't give him up.It appears that, for all my judgements about her bird care skills, she does love him, gives him extra time and attention and he has a name "Wally". She also gives him medication of some sort and mentioned that in about half an hour he will be having his bath and then she carrie shim found to the other birds she knows are gentle "for a chat". I'm not sure where I go from here - the conditions they live in may look bad to me, but probably wouldn't to people I might report her to who will have seen far worse situations. They are what she has left of her husband and also, I don't think I mentioned it before, she has no children so that will play a part. I don't know what else to say but I might try and adopt another disabled budgie.

Thanks to all of you for your support and help.

Ilse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Em
If she has so many birds and one that's probably born from inbreeding she may have more, but only you and her would know. I'm not saying you should 100% go for a bird that's like Wally but if that woman in particular has anymore poor looking birds you could see if she'll give them up? It's good that she's taking good care of Wally but since she has sooo many there's probably some sad little babies in her care :(

Drewa

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Freya Marshall
As I have said before I am a total novice when it comes to birds/budgies, There is no way I would have noticed if anything was wrong with them - she drew my attention to Wally. To be honest I don't think she'd be keen on me going round again and I have no excuse to do so. There are definitely no younger ones than Wally as she hasn't let them breed since her husband died.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Again, :hug8::hug8::hug8: for your desire to help Wally.

Now you can resume your search for a new feathered friend(s)....:)