• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Broken hearted

Valkyria

Walking the driveway
I had cages outside to clean them and one of the dogs got scared of something and crashed into the evil twins cage whom fell over and bottom came out and they took off.
Who wouldn't they must have gotten the fright of their life. They got a big cage but not big enough to withstand 45 kg of dog hitting it. Last I saw and heard of the twins they were up in the trees behind our house. I been out calling and looking for 3 hrs but its like a needle in a haysack. They answered me for like 2 hrs and I could see them like small spots in the top branches, now nothing.Mr Sun and Bird is still outside hoping their calls will bring them home. Their cage with all their favourite treets are within view of these trees. I'm so hoping they will come home! IMG_5556.JPG

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Find local lost and found pet groups on Facebook. Put their info on parrot alert. Leave flyers with your vet and all vets and shelters in town!

Valkyria

Walking the driveway
Already done! They need to come back home.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
If you are capable try bringing something to safely put them in and climbing the tree to get them. Most pet birds don't know how or are scared of flying down and only fly up once escaped. Lurch was in a very tall fir tree for over two days. I had already climbed two smaller trees and actually touched him once but a crow scared him into the higher tree. They will go quiet and roost for the night once it gets dusk but will wake up and get noisy in the morning if they hear you or their flock calling them. Get flyers out, post to Parrot alert, Craigslist, etc.
Good luck.

Valkyria

Walking the driveway
So hard we got rainforest and a deep gully behind our house, so climbing a tree isn't really an option. They flew down to lower branches and called to me before taking off again. I'm going to go out looking for them in a bit again.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Ok, put their cage out where they can see it, maybe on the roof or somewhere higher where they can easily see it. Put their favorite forbidden treats and water inside and they may fly in to munch and drink and feel safe. We ate Taco Bell on the roof below Lurches tree because it was his favorite junk food treat. If he hadn't been so afraid to fly down he would have been in my lap stealing pieces of burrito. You know they WILL fly down and that they know where they live and know you and their flock is right there so there is a good chance they'll come back with the right enticement.

TWR

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Oh no, that's terrible. I hope they both come home soon.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I hope your babies are soon home and safe with you.

Valkyria

Walking the driveway
No sign of them and nobody has been in touch. I'm just feeling numb

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm so very sorry. All my thoughts are with you and the twins, hoping they come home to you.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm so sorry. I hope they find their way home.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
The first night Lurch spent in his tree he would not make a peep the next morning. We were calling and ringing his favorite bell and everything. Finally about 45 minutes after we started trying to get him to respond I heard a small question chirp and when I called back he finally woke up and went nuts calling and screaming. Eventually I found the branches he was in about 60 feet up and could see him with binoculars but at first we just knew he was up there and could clearly see us.
They may still be in that tree trying to sleep or hide and be quiet so they might not respond right away. I almost drove away and gave up that first morning but he refused to make noise till he knew we were there watching over him.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sending prayers they come down to you.:hug8:

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Hope they come home soon

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I am so sorry - I hope they are able to find their way back home.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Keeping my fingers crossed they come home to you safe and sound :bluhug:

NK_717

Avenue Veteran
I'm so sorry!

A lot of great advice was given on how to try recovering lost fids here: Pepper is gone | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Get out there early, before the sun rises. Call for them, play lovebird noises even if they might respond to it.
Put a very bright towel down and put their cage on top of it so it can be seen easily, make sure (if possible) that the door is held open for them
Alert all immediate neighbors, help get a group of people to search in parts of the neighborhood if you lose track of them (which lets hope that won't happen!)
Make sure to tell any nearby Schools too. Kids might find the birds and want to keep them, or seek a reward for returning them.

Post a lost ad on ParrotAlert, Birdhotline, and your city's community page and any lost/found or pet related pages on Facebook
Print fliers with a photo of your bird (or multiple pics) glued on neon paper and any important info, whether it has a band or chip (do not give numbers or info of chip/band!!)
Put fliers up at Starbucks, Animal Shelters, Grocery stores, ect
Call vets and alert them too. Sanctuaries, Rescues.

I really hope you can get your babies back! Pepper is still gone, it's been a very long stretch of time now but I'm hopeful someone has been keeping her safe.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Were you able to find them?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry. Don't give up. Hope they will find their way home.