• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Broken Feathers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
What exactly is the vet doing? Does she like to shower? That can help the feathers look better and also they usually will preen afterwards.

ImaBirdMom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jessica
The vet is plucking broken feathers 4 at a time and tromitizeing her . She loves showers we take one every day

What is the reason she keeps breaking her feathers?

Sierra2012

Walking the driveway
I rescued her from this idiot who kept her in a dog crate her feathers are broken from not having room to expand them

tozie12

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
can you give her a conservative clip and let them just all molt out and grow back in at their own pace? I think pulling the feathers that aren't life-threatening (ie blood feathers that refuse to clot or keep getting re broken) would be unnecessarily painful for the bird. I have an M2 that clips his own flights and tho they are raggedy, they pose no health risk so i just let them molt out on their own and cross my fingers with each molt hoping he'll let them grow in 'this time'.

Sierra2012

Walking the driveway
The reason i joined this site was to find other ways to handle her broken feathers Im thinking I need to stop going to this vet and find a different one cause I dont think pulling feathers is good either

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
ohmygod i dont think pulling her feathers is good either....get a second opinion on that..better not to traumatize her when she is so new to yo ur home....let her be for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.