• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Broken feather

Willzan

Moving in
Real Name
William Fransson
Hello everyone.
I have an issue with my bird, so today when i came home i saw that my Blue and Gold Macaw had dripped some bloodstains on a perch and a little bit on the floor of the cage. It was not much at all as i just cleaned tha cage so it was just a few drops. When i checked him i saw that there was blood from a tailfeather. It looked like it was a feather who were growing out. It didnt bleed anymore from when i came home which was 3 hours ago. He is still the same in his way, talking flying and playing around but he do itch there a little here and there.
What do you think i should do? Just observe him to see if he gets better or not? I prefer not to remove the feather as i am not comfortable with that yet.
He is 10 months old btw
Thanks!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome. Baby birds are very clumsy and seem to break feathers easily. If the bleeding has stopped, just let it be. If it's jagged, or bothering, him, you can trim it but don't pull it. I recently attended a bird care class, and the vet said most broken blood feathers do not need to be pulled, and to only pull if they bleeding won't stop, as it is painful for the bird for it to be pulled.

Willzan

Moving in
Real Name
William Fransson
Thank you!
Ok i will just observe him then so nothing else happens or start bleeding again. I have fixed potential "threats" in the cage now so he doesnt hurt himself again (i hope).
But like you daid he
Welcome. Baby birds are very clumsy and seem to break feathers easily. If the bleeding has stopped, just let it be. If it's jagged, or bothering, him, you can trim it but don't pull it. I recently attended a bird care class, and the vet said most broken blood feathers do not need to be pulled, and to only pull if they bleeding won't stop, as it is painful for the bird for it to be pulled.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope it won't start bleeding again. If it does then use either cornstarch or Kwik Stop and apply pressure to stop the bleeding. Sometimes the birds will pick at a broken blood feather and the area around it and the bleeding will start again. Keep monitoring.