• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Broken Blood Feather

Status
Not open for further replies.

laladiaz

Strolling the yard
Cody must have just broken a blood feather. He was perched up high on his wood post when all of a sudden I heard multiple droplets hit the floor. I turned around to see him still perched there but 4-5 drops of blood on the floor below him. I have tried to put flour on it but I think it is a feather underneath other feathers so the flour just falls right off of him and doesn't stick. What should I do. It is not currently dripping blood but that may be because it is matted to the the feathers underneath his wings. I tried to lift his wing to check it out but he panicked and started flapping around like crazy which causes a few more tiny drops of blood to splatter. If it is not actively bleeding does the remainder of the feather need to be pulled out? Help! This is my/his first ever blood feather!!!!

laladiaz

Strolling the yard
More info- The initial droplets came in a succession and then stopped after that. Immediately after I gave him a big pile of seeds and set him down to eat while I went to get flour. He did not bleed at all during this time (2 minutes or so) and only shed a few droplets of blood when he was trying to escape the bathroom where I was trying to pour flour on his wing. He is currently in his cage where I put him to keep him from flying and so far no drops of blood. Should I leave him in there for now and monitor him? Or do I need to try and find and pull the remaining broken feather shaft?

Attachments

laladiaz

Strolling the yard
Thank you:) I hope someone replies soon. I'm not sure what to do. He is still in his cage and so far no more drops of blood. He is climbing around in his cage. I think he is annoyed that he is in there and can see me since he is used to being out when I am home. I'm just scared to let him out because I don't know if flying will further aggravate the feather. If it has in fact stopped bleeding, do I need to restrict his activity/flight and if so for how long or how many days?

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
If He is calm and eating now-and there is NO bleeding,I would just keephim warm and calm! Let him get his strength back! Here is a great article on Blood Feathers!
Blood Feathers
Keep an eye on Him,if there is more bleeding You will have to get the feather pulled-is there anyone that can help You-Are You near Your Avian Vet? Keep Us posted!:hug8:

laladiaz

Strolling the yard
I'm not sure how to locate it to pull it. It is on his left wing but it must be under other feathers because I can't see it. Cody is very feisty and although he loves to be around me he does not like being handled. Should I do what the vet does and hold him with a towel to try and find it?

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Yes I would towel him and find out what is happening:
Toweling Your Bird - Step-by- Step
Do you have any Cayenne pepper?
This will stop the bleeding or Corn starch will also work...
Can you take pictures of it so we can help you?:hug8:

laladiaz

Strolling the yard
Yes. I do have cayenne pepper. I have that and flour but no corn starch. A photo would not be helpful because the top/surface wing feathers all look perfectly ok so it must be a feather underneath other feathers. There has not been a single drop since the first five drops and the ones that splattered when I tried the flour. I will towel him and have a look but I think I would rather wait about an hour because right now he seems really calm and content. I already stressed him out with the flour so i would prefer to give him a little more time to calm down and relaz. Is it really bad to wait before pulling it? It is not bleeding at all right now.

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Yes. I do have cayenne pepper. I have that and flour but no corn starch. A photo would not be helpful because the top/surface wing feathers all look perfectly ok so it must be a feather underneath other feathers. There has not been a single drop since the first five drops and the ones that splattered when I tried the flour. I will towel him and have a look but I think I would rather wait about an hour because right now he seems really calm and content. I already stressed him out with the flour so i would prefer to give him a little more time to calm down and relaz. Is it really bad to wait before pulling it? It is not bleeding at all right now.
If it isn't bleeding and he is not picking at it ....I would leave it alone at this time...:hug8:

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Make sure he has a night light so he is not "night frighting" and hurting the feather more ....:hug8:

ktemkin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kyle
I definitely would say visiting an avian vet is a good idea any time you can't isolate the site of bleeding, even if the reason is just because you're uncomfortable capturing him. Plus, the vet can show you proper techniques to capture him, and give you advice on how to remove a blood feather in the future.

Keep him in a familiar place where he's not likely to flutter around and irritate the spot. If you can provide supportive care (heat, humidity, dark and quiet at night), that can give him a little break from the work it takes to keep his normal body temperature, and give him a head start towards healing.

Last edited:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
How's Cody doing now? :)

laladiaz

Strolling the yard
Cody's doing good. Thanks for asking:) He seems like his usual self, eating, playing, etc. I did not pull the feather because I have no idea what I'm doing and don't want to make things worst. I am going to take him to his vet on Monday and have them do it.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I have been wondering about Cody as well this morning, thank you for the update.

As long as it is not bothering him, I think waiting til tomorrow for the vet is a great plan :)

Status
Not open for further replies.