• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Broccoli

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
On occasion, sometimes simple is all a canary needs. One morning after using the florets a different morning, i used the stalk. I peeled it..and exposed the soft flesh. I then sprinkled conditioning seed over it. My canaries love it. 20190312_093241-1.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Some of my lovebirds enjoy the stalk too. Nothing gets wasted :)

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Buddy's a zon. Prefers the stalks throws the floret part on the floor. Except steamed then it's 50% - 50%.

:grouphug:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Yum. That is actually my favourite part of the broccoli.

The stems are full of good stuff and are so very yummy. Burt can only have half of it because I have the other half. :lol:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
@Shezbug

Ooow I hadn't thought of eating the stalk myself. How do you prepare yours?

I just make it the same as the top part. I like my vegetables only just softened (pretty much just warmed through) so sometimes I have to put the stem in a little earlier than the rest unless I cut it up a little finer.
I will have it steamed, lightly fried, chop it finely and add it to peas and corn, soups, stir fry, omelette/quiche type stuff, through salads. We even chop it finely and fry it with chopped bacon then mix it with Mac cheese...yum. I think you can use it with anything that you enjoy to eat with it any other time. I think the only thing I haven’t done with the stem is roast it, but... I might give that a go soon with some bacon cheese and garlic, I reckon it would be nice.

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
I just make it the same as the top part. I like my vegetables only just softened (pretty much just warmed through) so sometimes I have to put the stem in a little earlier than the rest unless I cut it up a little finer.
I will have it steamed, lightly fried, chop it finely and add it to peas and corn, soups, stir fry, omelette/quiche type stuff, through salads. We even chop it finely and fry it with chopped bacon then mix it with Mac cheese...yum. I think you can use it with anything that you enjoy to eat with it any other time. I think the only thing I haven’t done with the stem is roast it, but... I might give that a go soon with some bacon cheese and garlic, I reckon it would be nice.
Oh wow the stem is very versatile. You have made my mouth water. Would love dinner at yours lol...you are quite the connoisseur. Thank you

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
More like I am a scab lol. Food is expensive and if you grow it then you are using your time and energy so you must make the most if it. I don’t like wasting anything that can be used and has the same benefit as the parts we are used to using or we like so I find healthy or tasty ways to use as much as I can. There’s not actually a lot of stuff we throw out through food preparation that has to be thrown out, we just do it because that’s what we know to do.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh wow steamed broccoli...Buddy is a lucky bird. What is a Zon?

An Amazon, hes a Mexican Red Headed Amazon. If you look on google & type or copy & paste the underlined name you can see what he looks like. Not as big as a n african grey, but a bunch bigger than a canary & Wayyyyy Louder :wacky:

:gbh:

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
An Amazon, hes a Mexican Red Headed Amazon. If you look on google & type or copy & paste the underlined name you can see what he looks like. Not as big as a n african grey, but a bunch bigger than a canary & Wayyyyy Louder :wacky:

:gbh:
Arr .thank you im with you now

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
When I give my budgies fresh brocolli they eat only the stems, they'll eat around the actual flower. It doesn't matter though, the stems are just as wholesome. I think it's best not to peel. As with a lot of things the best bit is in and just below the skin.