• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Broccoli

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
Just a quick one...

The canaries love broccoli and noticed they always have a go at the stalk.

I cut most of the stalk off this morning and placed the main broccoli head in their dishes. I then grated the stalk. Bit tough going. I then fed the canaries and they went mad over the grated stalk..couldn't get enough. Feeling pleased because now the whole broccoli piece is being used.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
It is great that you found a way of providing the vegetable that they enjoy.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Awesome that they love eating so healthy! And yay to less waste!

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
The stalk centre is softer. It will be ideal grated for the hens when they feed their chicks..as the hens are always in a hurry.

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
My budgies LOVE broccoli... then I started reading about the toxins in them. I got scared and asked @Mizzely.

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
My budgies LOVE broccoli... then I started reading about the toxins in them. I got scared and asked @Mizzely.
I didnt know that broccoli had toxins. Broccoli is widely used by many breeders for canaries and for other breeds. Are the toxins very harmful? Do you have more information? I use broccoli once a week...

Reactions: LSA

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The most nutritious part of a broccoli are the leaves. I always try to serve them if they are still on the stalk.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would not avoid feeding broccoli or greens because of these "toxins".

Every food we eat has "something" in it that is potentially dangerous. Organic too. If we avoided every potential hazard, we would cease to live. Air, water, food...all carry risks.

Variety and moderation is the key.

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
Im in complete agreement. .abit of everything edible is good. I too feed leaves if they are still attached to the broccoli head. Will carry on. Canaries love getting their little beak on the floret and now flying off with a grated bit of the stalk.

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
Despite what anybody says, my babies still get their daily kale and broccoli
Mine have their greens everyday. The canaries need darker greens in particular as their bodies assimilate it into the colour pigments for their coloured plumage whether they are clears or greens. Im presuming it is the same for other breeds...

Serin

My society finches are funny. Years ago, my flock of them ate the tops, like you'd expect and like all the other birds do. At some point, there was a switch. My current birds (one left from the original group) only eat the stems. They dig into the cut part of the stalk and hollow out the skin up to the floret, which they don't like anymore. Weird little guys...

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
My society finches are funny. Years ago, my flock of them ate the tops, like you'd expect and like all the other birds do. At some point, there was a switch. My current birds (one left from the original group) only eat the stems. They dig into the cut part of the stalk and hollow out the skin up to the floret, which they don't like anymore. Weird little guys...
Hi Serin,

They are funny. I think they know something we dont lol. Do you think the stalk will help keep the beaks in good condition. . and trim? I think ideally I will use the grated more so in the breeding season due to the hens being in a hurry to grab anything quickly but like you will mainly give the canaries access to split stems plus the floret. So your finches dont touch the floret bit at all...how surprising..do you give the tops to your canaries (if you have some) and the stalk to your finches. I think the split stalk gives the canaries something to work at and do..I dont like to make it easy for them all the time... have to keep them busy like your little finches.

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
It only affects the reds and yellows if it does. Fascinating article about Feather color. What Gives Feathers Their Color | Parrot Parrot
With canaries there are the melanins black or brown and the lipochromes..yellows and reds.
Carotenes = reds get their carotenes from green veg and carrots.
Xanthophylls = yellow or green canaries get their xanthophyll from green veg.

Both carotenes and xanthophyll are substances embedded in green veg. The darker the greens the better.

A canary transforms carotenes or xanthophylls into colour pigments which then colours the plumage.

Hope this helps. Colour genetics is a very interesting subject colour in canaries.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
With canaries there are the melanins black or brown and the lipochromes..yellows and reds.
Carotenes = reds get their carotenes from green veg and carrots.
Xanthophylls = yellow or green canaries get their xanthophyll from green veg.

Both carotenes and xanthophyll are substances embedded in green veg. The darker the greens the better.

A canary transforms carotenes or xanthophylls into colour pigments which then colours the plumage.

Hope this helps. Colour genetics is a very interesting subject colour in canaries.

I was talking about for parrots :) I don't know anything about canaries!