• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bringing home a macaw.

Skrub04

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lizzy
So after much debate and lots of reading we have decided to go with this blue and gold Macaw. We have been to visit him a couple different times and every time we fell in love with him a little more. ❤ I wanted to show everyone the cutie and see if anyone had advice on helping him adjust to my house?

Attachments

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Oh my goodness, congratulations-I also have a female blue and gold. Just give him time to adjust and you will slowly see his personality develop, as with any pet you set the boundaries-I have several parrots & I might be a bit basis but I love the personalities of Blue & Golds . Have fun :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
What a pretty baby - how old is he/she? What is her/his name?
Just give her time to adjust to her new home and new flock. Make sure she is getting a good diet.

And love her/him a lot.

Congratulations!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Congrats on your new addition!

I have very little knowledge with Macs, so I'll get out of the way to let others help out...:)

Skrub04

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lizzy
We named him Dorian and he is about 10-12 month old and luckily we have been coming in since they started bottle feeding him so he kinda knows us so I am hoping that will help. :) 0625171107.jpg

Last edited:

Skrub04

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lizzy
Right now he really likes my husband and he has taken treats from my daughter hand. He seems a little more reserved around me when my husband's around but when its just me he will walk up to me with his head down for scratches and he mumbles at me if I ignore him for too long so I am hoping that means he likes me as well.

Skrub04

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lizzy
Haha thank you
For feeding I was thinking of doing lafebers parrot pellets with some nuti-barries/nuts and a mix they sell at the pet store that I would redehydrate (beans,pasta, veggies and fruit) and the lunch time I would do fresh veggies and fruit.
Does that sound about right or am i missing something?

Amit

Meeting neighbors
He looks amazing! Congratulations! We are looking for one ourselves and seeing this is making me even more excited

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The only things I don't care for with Lafebers Pellets is that they have molasses (sugar), and whole eggs (cholesterol).
Lafeber's
Premium Daily Diet for Parrots

Ground corn, soybean meal, wheat flour, oat groats, cane molasses, dried whole egg,, canola oil, dicalcium phosphate, ground limestone, iodized salt, citric acid, dl-methionine (an essential amino acid), vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, ascorbic acid, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), niacin supplement, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin B12, supplement, folic acid, copper lysine, choline chloride, zinc oxide, manganese oxide, mixed tocopherols (a preservative), biotin, sodium selenite.

Guranteed Analysis: Crude protein not less than 14%; Crude fat not less than 5%; Crude fiber not more than 3%;
Moisture not more than 10.5%;Omega 3 Fatty Acids (Min.) 0.27%; Omega 6 Fatty Acids (Min.) 2.04%

Harrison's
INGREDIENTS

*Sunflower Kernels, *Hull-less Barley, *Soybeans, *Peas, *Peanut Kernels, *Lentils, *Corn, *Brown Rice, *Toasted Oat Groats, *Alfalfa, *Psyllium, Calcium Carbonate, Bentonite, Mixed Tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), *Sea Kelp, Salt, *Algae Meal, Vitamin/Mineral Supplement (Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, dl-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Carbonate and *Sunflower Oil)

*CERTIFIED ORGANIC INGREDIENT

Guaranteed Analysis: Crude protein (min.) 18%, crude fat (min.) 15%, crude fiber (max.) 6.5%, moisture (max.) 10%.

Harrison's has no sugar, no eggs and a higher protein content - I just like the overall ingredients.

Other than that and - make it very few fruits (no grapes) berries are good, especially blueberries that are not high in sugar.

Nuts - NO peanuts - (in-shell) walnuts, almonds, pine nuts (great for training), pistachios. It's fun to give them a BRazil once in awhile to see if they can crack the shell.

Skrub04

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lizzy
Ok ill check that brand out and if the store doesnt have it I can order in online. Thank you!

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Right now he really likes my husband and he has taken treats from my daughter hand. He seems a little more reserved around me when my husband's around but when its just me he will walk up to me with his head down for scratches and he mumbles at me if I ignore him for too long so I am hoping that means he likes me as well.
When my husband is around , my birds are all over him, I'm home all day with them sorta like kids...when Papas home their all over dad ! but when he's gone at work we have a good time together. I don't take it personally , it's actually fun to watch them enjoy being around my husband. I think it's like a part of the flock is missing when he's gone, when he pulls up in the car they know and start calling for him. :)

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

Skrub04

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lizzy
I agree my husband a trucker so he is 6 days and off one I know he will enjoy coming home and spoiling him rotten. Lol