• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Brewers yeast question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am helping someone who has an African grey with elevated liver enzymes. All blood tests, and cultures are normal. I recommended Milk thistle, aloe detox and brewers yeast. They are located in Jordan and having a difficult time finding these items. Vets are not real good there. Anyway, she did locate Brewers yeast vitamins for humans in tablet form and asked if she could crush these. I said I would get some more info for her. Any ideas? Thanks!

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
OK so is some more info to pass on to her...Dandelion greens are good too...
Winged Wisdom Pet Bird Magazine - Fatty Liver Disease in Cockatiels
Liver Disease / Fatty Liver: Causes, Symptoms and Treatment Options as well as Prevention
http://forums.avianavenue.com/healthy-highway/12833-question-re-brewers-yeast.html
I would tell them to CRUSH the tablet into a powder and sprinkle some on their food each day...
Can they get "wheat berries" to grow or srpout wheat to the green stage?
Wheatgrass: Health Food for Pet Birds | Parrot Parrot
this also will help to detox the liver and it really good for the birds!
Seeds must be human grade and organic...do they have health food stores?:hug8:

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you BF! I will pass info on!!

Min

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Melinda
How to treat liver depends on the values from the blood tests. My grey is on several medications/herbal supplements, too, but his liver disease is quite extreme and we need to treat aggressively. If just a slight elevation shows up on your friend's bird's tests, treating too heavily for liver problems can possibly make the liver worse, because the supplements will act as a crutch for the liver, doing some of it's work and potentially making it dependent on the supplements and possibly shutting down part of the liver. Depending on the test results, it may be best to try diet modification first, then after 8 weeks, get tested again. Restrict foods high in protein (fewer nuts) and restrict natural sugar intake, too. My grey has liver issues and only can have 1 nut a day and very little fruit. I also need to watch the vegetables with natural sugar, like carrots and sweet potatoes. My grey likes warm tea, and extra fluid is very good to help the liver flush out impurities. A good anti-oxidant tea with no caffeine, like Red Bush (Rooibos) and Honeybush. Most herbal teas don't have antioxidants, but just getting extra fluids in a bird with liver problems is beneficial.

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
How to treat liver depends on the values from the blood tests. My grey is on several medications/herbal supplements, too, but his liver disease is quite extreme and we need to treat aggressively. If just a slight elevation shows up on your friend's bird's tests, treating too heavily for liver problems can possibly make the liver worse, because the supplements will act as a crutch for the liver, doing some of it's work and potentially making it dependent on the supplements and possibly shutting down part of the liver. Depending on the test results, it may be best to try diet modification first, then after 8 weeks, get tested again. Restrict foods high in protein (fewer nuts) and restrict natural sugar intake, too. My grey has liver issues and only can have 1 nut a day and very little fruit. I also need to watch the vegetables with natural sugar, like carrots and sweet potatoes. My grey likes warm tea, and extra fluid is very good to help the liver flush out impurities. A good anti-oxidant tea with no caffeine, like Red Bush (Rooibos) and Honeybush. Most herbal teas don't have antioxidants, but just getting extra fluids in a bird with liver problems is beneficial.
This is very good information but my understanding is this person is in Jordan (country) and they don't have Avian vets/testing that well for birds...so trying to find things that would be available there or comparative to what we use here is the issue...this is why trying to understand different countries and what foods/herbs they have to work with is so important for just basic help....:hug8:

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, she is in Jordan/Middle East. The information is very good that you both provided. I will definitely communicate with her all you have shared. I hope her Grey Ku-ku recovers fully. Vet care is very poor there and even finding a vet to treat birds is few and far between.

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Judy, any way she could communicate with a Bird vet in another country over the internet from there? and then have a "vet" in her area draw blood and send off tests with the help of the other vet????:hug8:

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
United Arab Emirates
NAD AL SHIBA Vet Hospital - Dr. Christopher Lloyd BVSc MSc CertZooMed MRCVS
Web Address: www.nadvethosp.com
Phone: 04 3401060
Address: Nad Al Shiba
City: Dubai Zip:
Comments:
Avian Vet? Yes

The Association of Avian Veterinarians | Home

The Association of Avian Veterinarians | Association

EAAV: European Committee Association of Avian Veterinarians

Even if she "googled" them and wrote she might be able to get help...

Avian Vet Question? Our Avian Vet will answer your questions!

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
This is some info I have saved:

Under normal circumstances a bird mfg. and synthesizes vitamin C in the body. When it is sick the body’s ability to do this is hindered, thus supplementing is needed. This is especially so when you have suspected hepatic (liver) problems or damage. Vitamin C is a great supplement when sick and to aid the body when there are liver problems. A liver is regenerative, but it needs to be given the *tools* to help heal itself.

Some of the tools are: Vitamin C (while sick), lactulose, natural exposure to sunlight or full spectrum lighting close to the caging, and a changing of caging, such as a flight cage that encourages more movement and exercise, or some flight time daily.

When there are liver problems the function of the liver is hindered. This also can effect vitamin A which is formed in the liver from beta‑carotene, thus supplementing of beta-carotene is needed. An increase of the water soluble nutrients to the body. Brewers Yeast is an excellent source for these.

Milk thistle can be given for liver problems. Dandelion can also be given to detoxify and act as a stimulant to the liver. 1 drop of each (in extract form) to each 1/2 ounce of lactulose (some info below) can be mixed up and the bird given a drop 2 times a day. These 2 herbal extracts can also be added to the drinking water at a ratio of 1 drop to 3 ounces of water, and changed 2 times a day.

I've found that everything has a cause and effect to other body functions in our feathered friends. To help them many times we have to get to the root of the problem. Such as why your bird does have liver problem. Also how does this effect the other organs, and go from there. Many times giving the body the needed supplements and nutritional support (tools) can do more healing than any medication.

Lactulose (Cephulac)

Lactulose acts as an osmosis "R" wordant to the absorption of potential toxins from the GI tract. Used as a treatment with liver disease to decrease the load of metabolites that must be processed through the liver. What this does is reduce toxic potential of the blood ammonia due to liver dysfunction.

It also acts as an appetite stimulant.

It acidifies the intestinal contents.

It is also be effective in establishing a gastrointestinal environment that favors the growth of intestinal flora. This eliminates the need for lactobacillus supplementing. Lactulose can be used daily for weeks. If diarrhea is noted reduce the dosage.

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you, thank you, thank you BF and Susanne!! I will pass this info on!! I will keep you updated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.