• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Breeding season

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
So apparently its that time of the year. Lada has gotten broody. She laid an egg several days ago (on me I might add lol). At first she wanted nothing to do with it and didn't even acknowledge it so I removed the egg at the recommendation of Lada's parront. He parront also requested I give Lada a box for the time being so she can get all this out of her system. I went ahead and purchased 4 faux eggs as I have done in the past for the finches. I wasn't expecting her to show any interest in them, but to my surprise, she pretty quickly scooped them up into the box and is now happily egg sitting. Hopefully that will suppress any further egg production. Ok now that you understand the context, onto the question...

##### Main question #####
I know that with eckies, the females have evolved to stay in the nest during this time while the male provides all the food. Well, Lada is exhibiting this behavior. She is begging for food from her nest and begging to be fed (baby feeding actions with my fingers) when she is with me. Perhaps I am worrying too much. She clearly knows how to eat. I guess eventually when she is hungry, she will come eat like normal. She is 7 or 8 years old now I believe. I'm just worried that she is getting thin. I need to get that scale I was talking about awhile ago so I can monitor her weight. I know I should have done this awhile ago. :(
####################

On a side note, she has finally become very trusting and affectionate with me :) Either she just finally learned to trust me, or I have accidentally become her mate in her eyes. She no longer minds me in the cage. Not bothered by me around her boxes. She steps up willingly (and excitedly) and I can even flat out pick her up and handle her pretty freely. Part of this is probably also that I have just become more comfortable myself and have learned her body language more too. Still very cool.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Also, here is what I am talking about. I understand the what and why. Dont necessarily need an explanation there. The question again is whether I should worry about her getting thin during this time.

Hehe... C&E being noisy in the background...

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:bump4:

Chopper

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
I would offer her food with a syringe since there is no male to feed her.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
There’s nothing wrong with the feeding her thing to a point but your not giving her any cause to leave the nest at all. She’s already a captive (basically unfit) bird and not in a natural situation.

My practice with hens is to make them spend some time away from the nest to eat and get some exercise (try to begin to normalize) for 30-60 minutes near the end of the day.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
She’s not going to get thin if food is available. She’ll eat when she’s hungry. Right now she’s not putting out much energy squatting on those eggs.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Hmm ok all good points. Thank you everyone. If I do try to syringe feed her, any suggestions on food type? Commercial baby parrot food or some other hand made formula? I did hear her munching on her pellets today and she did eat a tiny bit of fruit. Still naturally worried though.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
any suggestions on food type?
As she is eating pellets I suggest to just soak them. (mill first) Don't change her food, they are sensitive to that.
And are you sure that you need to give her formula from a syringe?

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
That might be a good idea. Usually she dunks her pellets into her water bowl first so she kinda does this already herself.