• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Breeding quakers

BirdsWillFly

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Hayley
I have a lovely little pallid blue quaker (a tame pet) that I would love to breed. I have no breeding experience whatsoever but I do have hand rearing experience as I rehabilitate wildlife.

My question is where would I start? Is it possible to introduce a female and then have a tame pair of breeding quakers? Are there deadly genes I should look out for? What sort of environment do these birds need to breed? I'd love any input that can be given. Thanks in advance!

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
There is a lot to consider when looking into the idea of breeding. The first thing I would ask yourself is "Why do you want to breed?" The answer to that alone can tell you if you should or if you should not.

One of the biggest things to consider is that you mention you have a very tame quaker. This often will do a 360. Your bird will not likely want anything to do with you. Even after breeding I've heard of some that never go back to being tame again. It is extremely rare for them to remain tame. Most breeding pairs often get very mean from what I've seen. The next thing to consider is that quakers are a bird that is often rehomed. Various states have bans against them and they can be very loud. I probably see rehoming ads for them almost as much as I see ads rehoming budgies. Then you'll have to handfeed, you mention you've done it before which is great but make sure you have the proper time and you are 100% comfortable with handfeeding. Generally breeders pull from the nest anywhere between when the baby's are being fed every 2-4 hours. So if you work a full time job this probably isn't an option.

Have you spoken to your avian vet to ensure your bird is in breeding condition? Did you get your bird from a reputable breeder to know if he/she is a good candidate to breed? Do you have an avian vet close by for emergencies with the babies?

Now lets talk cost. Depending on your area quakers are not a high dollar bird by any means. So by the time you get all the proper vetting done, costs of handfeeding, supplies in general you likely will be lucky to break even.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

BirdsWillFly

Real Name
Hayley
He has been bred for breeding stock and was going to be put back into a breeding programme until I came along and asked for him. He's been vet checked but not for his breeder worthiness as I've not gotten that far yet this is just an outline of an idea. I work from home and I'm currently rearing 4 pigeons feeding every 3 hours.

I wouldn't be doing this for money it's just something I've always wanted to do. Like I said I wouldn't go into this light heartedly and I would definitely do my research. I'm just gathering what I can to make a decision on this. I'm all for rescuing animals and 90% of the pets that I own are preloved pets but I do believe there are decent breeders out there that provide full life cover for the animals they've bred which is what I would do if I ever decided to breed.

I'm from th U.K so things are a bit different over here.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Quakers breed in large screeching colonies. Huge multi story nests. They can be heard for miles

Just sayin.................

BirdsWillFly

Real Name
Hayley
That isn't a worry to me. I've visited my local breeders and they all seem rather calm when left alone. We are on detached land which was one of my triggers for wanting to breed.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I'd try finding some breeders and rescues in your area to see what they think. If quakers are not common where you are, and there is a reasonable demand for quakers (from people who will provide good homes), then responsible breeding can be a good thing.

As far as keeping a tame pair, it's hard to predict. Birds that are intended for breeding are usually parent-reared, or if handfed, are kept with others of their species and not handled by people after weaning. This is done so they identify more with other birds and can bond more easily with a mate. They often aren't tame because of this. Very tame, human-bonded birds may not necessarily be interested in breeding at all. Or a tame bird may bond with a mate and lose interest in people.
This isn't always the case - some breeding pairs remain completely tame, or will be territorial when breeding and tame the rest of the year.
It depends partly on how the species breeds in the wild - in many parrot species, nest sites are very rare and something they must fight over. Birds that get along well outside of breeding season must defend their nest sites fiercely when breeding. In others species, like many conures, pairs in a flock will share a nest, so they're much more likely to remain tame and friendly with trusted people when breeding. Of course, quakers are unique among parrots in that they build communal nests, but each pair has its own 'apartment' that it defends, and I'm not sure how they would behave.

Sadly, there aren't really any genetic tests that are done with birds. Often, it's the 'problem birds' - ones that don't make good pets for whatever reason - that end up being bred, because people are afraid of a beloved tame bird losing tameness if it's bred. But this is unfortunate because it means people tend to be breeding for undesirable traits. It is good to try to breed from birds that don't pluck, don't have any heritable health problems, and don't show unusual aggression or nervousness, but other than that, it seems there is little you can do besides provide the best care possible.