• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Breeding info

Birdlovesme

Sprinting down the street
Hello!
I was wondering if y'all could give info on breeding, possible health problems, setup,etc for breeding
I'm not necessarily going to breed my birds, I just want to be prepared just in case...
Thanks everyone!

Birdlovesme

Side note- They're pretty young too.
If I need to find homes for any chick's If I do breed, I'll find the best of homes, and check up on them every once in a while..

AvianCrew

Real Name
michelle
The room the eggs are in need to be a specific humidity and temperature.

Birdlovesme

Okay thanks, @AvianCrew .
I've been learning alot in these past few days.
I posted a thread about this, but no one really answered..
Is an outdoor mini- aviary a good idea?
How would I keep it going during summer,humidity, protection,etc?
I live in Texas, but I would like to build my flock, but not have a lot of cages around my house, and they'll get fresh air.
I need to think this through, and if you have any ideas @AvianCrew , I'd appreciate it.
Thanks!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I just want to be prepared just in case...
The best way to be really prepared is not to breed them for any reason. There are enough budgies in the world. Do the right thing and prevent babies Please.

Birdlovesme

I agree @JLcribber , I really do..
The only way I would breed is if I successfully build a aviary.
I'll keep all of of the babies, and they'll be under great care.
Ill problably never sell off babies like most do
And I would never ignore them or give them away.
I'm too upset with all of the careless birds, and birds being given up to resuces.
I even hope to open up a sanctuary one day!
I'd be a good experience , and I would be of great source of inforation to others, and inform what to and not to do.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I'd be a good experience , and I would be of great source of inforation to others, and inform what to and not to do.
It can and does turn into a nightmare experience. What if they don't have a clue how to look after them. You are not up to the task of stepping in and taking over. The only experience is the suffering and death of some chicks.

The only thing someone opening a "rescue" should be concerned with is stopping the breeding. Not helping others to breed? Rather conflicting?

A real "sanctuary" is multimillion dollar thing to run and maintain if they do it right. You must be very wealthy. In that case I'm in.

A rescue is a warehouse/holding cell where most birds waste away in limbo.

Birdlovesme

Okay, I didnt mean it in that way, but ok.
I'm sorry, I understand, but your kind of lashing out a bit. I agree, and I apologize for asking.
I just wanted information of the care and what ifs if anyone needed help..
:sad14:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I bet you are rather young and enthusiastic about this but I one hundred percent agree with John. Turn that energy into volunteering at a bird rescue and see what it's like. Interact with all the homeless birds. You might feel the need to breed but that will disappear after working in a rescue.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I apologize if I offended you. The reason it may have sounded that way is because we get this same question posted time and time again from (naive) young people who have a "vision" of raising and owning parrots that is not anything like the "reality" of doing it on a constant and permanent basis. It's the very reason the rescues are full of birds from people whose vision has turned into a nightmare and regret.

If you truly love birds and want to help them, learn about their plight and join us in the cause.

Birdlovesme

The main reason I kind of posted this , is because I read up on a thread a few days ago that said their budgies mated, without a nest box, and I was wondering what care would be needed if that happened.
I know, I'll need fake eggs.
Where do I get them?
And (this isn't something I would like to do) But what would I do with the eggs?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
When the female bird lays eggs it is over a few days, every other day. You replace each egg with the fake egg and she will sit on them. The egg that was produced by the female bird may or may not be fertile. There is a process you can either put the real eggs in the freezer or boiling water. May people do this because they do not want baby birds. Good luck and thank you for listening to us.

Birdlovesme

Okay. I'll order some, and I'll still read up of breeding-only because I think it's interesting, I won't do it..
Thank y'all so much!

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Budgies are usually bred differently from other parrots - they don't form strong pair bonds (even though they are very social) so they are usually not kept in pairs year round.
Most breeders will keep males and females in separate aviaries - which can be outdoor aviaries - except for when they want to breed them. For breeding, pairs are usually brought indoors into smaller flight cages. They will take care of providing the proper temperature and humidity for the eggs/babies themselves as long as they are protected from extreme temperatures and have a water dish they can bathe in a little (they will wet their feathers if they need to increase the temperature in the nestbox).

Budgies are a species that is unfortunately often mill-bred to supply pet stores - they don't put a lot of care into birds that they sell to the pet stores for only a few dollars.
That said, in many areas, there really is a high demand for quality, home-raised budgies that are easily tamed. Pet store budgie-mill birds are often very hard to tame and prone to tumors and other health issues, and people who care about having healthy, tame budgies DO seem to know not to get them from a pet store. There's been quite a lot of people here who didnt want to get pet store budgies, but were forced to due to the lack of any rescues or breeders nearby.
So, the responsible breeding of budgies can be a good thing. That means breeding budgies that come from quality breeders themselves, though, not generic pet store budgies, and providing the best care and education to buyers. And, even though you can (and should) charge more than pet store prices, to weed out people just after a cheap pet, you still won't make any money breeding budgies. Another thing to consider is breeding English or part-English budgies - English budgies are less prolific and not overbred like the more common American budgies - plus they are naturally a bit calmer and easier to tame.

This is a good place for budgie info:
Cute Little Birdies Aviary

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Just because two birds mate doesn't mean that it will lead to eggs.

Just because eggs are laid, doesn't mean that the eggs will be fertile.

Just because the eggs are fertile doesn't mean that they'll hatch.

Just because they hatch doesn't mean that the parents will be good parents. First time parents, especially young ones, aren't very good parents. It can sometimes take 2-3 failed clutches for a new pair to get things right.

An unfortunate side of breeding is having babies die on you... and there are a plethora of reasons why a chick might die! Or even the hen!

Check out this website, and look over the links that deal with eggs, crops, breeding, etc.

Articles ~~ From the Nestbox - Just Cockatiels!

Whether or not you ever plan on breeding, it's always good to know that information before-hand! That way, you may be better prepared for emergencies.